Aptastia popping up in inconvenient places:(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weagle117

Aquarium Advice Regular
Probably 6 mos ago I bought live rock with a nice colony of yellow star polyps. After @ 2 days tiny little aptasia started popping up all over the live rock...... I used Kaulk over a period of weeks until I got rid of all of them..... I thought.... I hadn't seen any in months and all of a sudden they started popping up again. They are small but they are locating themselves right in the middle of my other corals, etc. Several are very close to the star polyps and one is right in the middle of a colony of eagle eye zoas. I hate to use the Kaulk so close, I know that, aptasia or whatever, the Kaulk will kill whatever it lands on. I tried boiling water but that didn't work..... I'm guessing it cooled off too much before I got them squirted.... and I did hurry..... Anyway, I'm stumped. Anyone have any ideas?

Aiptasia-X has done well for me. It is close to some of my symphodium and doesn't seem to have effected it. It closed up for awhile, but has opened back up with no signs of aiptasia at this time.

Thanks...

Thanks for the advice. I had noticed that my yellow star polyps are not as plentiful as before & just assumed that the Kaulk (same as Aptasia X, I'm told) was burning some of them as it flaked off..... so, maybe not. Thanks again.

You may want to look into getting peppermint shrimp or Berghia Nudibranches (though they will die when aptasia is gone because that is all they eat).

If the rock where the anemone is can be removed, use a lighter or cooking torch to burn it off. This works best imo\ime.

Back
Top Bottom