Aptisia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melosu58

SW REEF 20+ YEARS
I`ve got a friend that I recently in the last year help to start a tank. He is having problems with aptisia overunning his tank. I `ve never had these so I need some advice on how to get rid of it. I`ve seen others talk about some stuff called Joe`s juice. It`s starting to grow between some of his corals. Any advice welcome. Thanks guys

Joes Juice is great. It's safe for all corals, and will eliminate aiptasia right quickly. That, along with the addition of peppermint shrimp (great aiptasia eaters) is how I keep my tank free of them.

HTH

Hey Brian what do I do with the hot water. And I guess you say shrimp you mean peppermint also right.

Get some water almost to a boil ... and then suck it up with an injector and try to inject it into the aptasia. Works like a charm for me!! You gotta be quick when you inject it so the aptaisa doesn't retract!

Even though it says safe for corals, I have had joes juice melt some mushrooms, be careful that way too. My copperbanded butterfly took care of my aiptasia issues.

It was always my understanding that the copperband butterfly was not reef safe. It will (may) munch on other anemones besides the aiptasia. I suppose this goes along with the old line that 'each fish is their own'. Some may, some may not. But it should be mentioned that the butterfly grows quite large (around 8 inches) and is a difficult fish to maintain.

IMO, you'd be better off with the peppermint shrimp and Juice. 8)

Back
Top Bottom