Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2004, 05:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Aqua C remora

ive had mine running now for 3 weeks and it works great. I received the pre skimmer box today and it has a chamber for media. my Q is should I use it? which type of media? carbon?

EHEIM 2215 Canister Filter, AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer w preskim box, 36" PFO Lights with 2x 250W 10K MH and 2x96W T3 Actinics, JBJ Arctica Chiller 1/10 hp w/ Eheim 1250 Pump, Turbo-Twist 3x UV Sterilizer 9W, (1) Yellow Tang
(1)Potter's Angel, (2) Skunk Cleaner Shrimps,(1) Eibli's Angel, (26) Turbo Snails,(10) Nassarius Snails, (2) Sand sifting starfish
(1) Regal "hippo" Tang, (20) Hermit Crabs, (1) Coral Beauty, (1) Pygmy Angel, (1) Serpent Star, (1) Brittle Star, Pumping Xenia, Finger Leather, Yellow Polyps, Green Star Polyps, Colt Leather, Mushrooms, (2) Maxijet 600 PH and (2) Maxijet 1200 PH
Am I Overstocked Yet?
evenings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 07:09 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I never put anything in that chamber on my prefilter box. You could put activated carbon in there if you wanted.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 11:11 AM   #3

Make sure you put in a filter bag first though.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:28 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Based on advice from this forum, I'm going to upgrade to this skimmer also. Did the box come with the skimmer? or did you need to buy it separately. Where did you buy it? How much? Thanks.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gesh
Based on advice from this forum, I'm going to upgrade to this skimmer also. Did the box come with the skimmer? or did you need to buy it separately. Where did you buy it? How much? Thanks.
Gesh I bought my Aqua C from Premium Aquatics. great price and the surface skimmer box is a separate order. good luck
EHEIM 2215 Canister Filter, AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer w preskim box, 36" PFO Lights with 2x 250W 10K MH and 2x96W T3 Actinics, JBJ Arctica Chiller 1/10 hp w/ Eheim 1250 Pump, Turbo-Twist 3x UV Sterilizer 9W, (1) Yellow Tang
(1)Potter's Angel, (2) Skunk Cleaner Shrimps,(1) Eibli's Angel, (26) Turbo Snails,(10) Nassarius Snails, (2) Sand sifting starfish
(1) Regal "hippo" Tang, (20) Hermit Crabs, (1) Coral Beauty, (1) Pygmy Angel, (1) Serpent Star, (1) Brittle Star, Pumping Xenia, Finger Leather, Yellow Polyps, Green Star Polyps, Colt Leather, Mushrooms, (2) Maxijet 600 PH and (2) Maxijet 1200 PH
Am I Overstocked Yet?
Old 06-02-2004, 11:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
I put nothing in the skimmer bux but the stock sponge... When the sponge gets clogged you need to take it out and rinse it out. I think if you put anything in it , it would be too heavy on the flow side...
Old 06-03-2004, 06:28 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXFirefighter
I put nothing in the skimmer bux but the stock sponge... When the sponge gets clogged you need to take it out and rinse it out. I think if you put anything in it , it would be too heavy on the flow side...
How often do you rinse it out?
Am I Overstocked Yet?
Old 06-04-2004, 01:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by evenings
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXFirefighter
How often do you rinse it out?
once a month I think ... when the water over fills the box, then it's time to rince it out... I just use water right from the RO unit in the house to rinse it.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:54 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Weight is important issue with the overflow box. I was not overly impressed by the method that the overflow box connects to the rest of the skimmer.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 01:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I just received my Remora Pro with the skimmer box. I'll set it up this weekend, but am confused. It looks like there'es no connection to the tank or to the skimemr itself except for the tube connecting the skimmer to the pump. Is that right? Also, it looks liek the box fits snugly around the pump (Mag 3) so that the prefilter attachment to the pump isn't used, is that right? If so, isn't there a risk that a fish will get sucked up? I'm also posin this as a separate topic. Thanks to all.

Tags
remora

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com