Aqua C Remora Pro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajbully

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just upgraded my skimmer to the Remora Pro w/ mag 3 pump. I know there is a break in period but honestly do the micro bubbles completley go away once the skimmer is broken in?

Thanks for the replies. The skimmer works great but hate looking at those bubbles. I'll give it some more time. Another question... is the collection cup suppose to sit flush in the unit? Mine is somewhat crooked, almost like the collection cup doesn't filt properly

I'm a little confused...

The collection cup on mine is supported by the black o-ring that goes around the clear box. If it sits crooked, then I just adjust that side of the o-ring until it sits right. Also, the top of the cup shouldn't sit flush with anything. It can't do down to the level of the skimmer body because it just physically can't. I think I'm missing what you're saying, but can't figure out what.

If you're talking about the top cover to the collection cup, mine is a little warped and doesn't sit flat, but it's not very noticeable. Maybe that's what you mean?

Thanks, I meant the cup itself not the cover for the cup... but you did answer my question. Thanks... now only if those bubbles would go away :mad:

after almost 2 weeks skimmer is still pouring micro-bubbles into the tank :-?. The other thing is that it seems I am getting a really wet foam as my collection cup fills up quick with cloudy water, is this also part of the break in period? To my knowledge there is really no adjustments that can be made to this skimmer.

You can adjust the collection cup using the rubber ring that is around the collection cup. If you move the rubber ring lower so that the collection cup sits up higher, it will not collect as much wet foam. Usually you need to leave it up a little higher during the break in period because it will collect too wet.

As for the bubbles, I forget how long my remora took to finally stop pushing out microbubble, but it did eventually. I say if you wait a little longer they should, hopefully, go away.

HTH

The rubber ring, as Devilishturtles mentioned, is the key to the skimmer. Even once it's broken in, you'll have to adjust it now and then. I adjust the height of my collection cup a couple times a week. It just depends on how much/how wet the skimmate is. Just FYI.

What am I adjusting for when I make the adjustments? Am I looking to get as dry a skimmate as possible? Mine finally broke in and is now starting to produce a very watery skimmate.

You want a nice foamy skimmate but you don't want it so "dry" or foaming that it doesn't produce any watery skimmate. On the flip side, you don't want it skimming too wet of a foam and skimming too much.

I keep my remora rubber band so that the cup sits all the way down, then I take the cup off and move the band down about a half an inch so that it sits about a half an inch higher. This is fine for me, but I also have a very small bioload in my tank. You'll have to experiment with it. The key though is having a dark brown skimmate and not a really clear skimmate.

I really hope that makes sense.. :)

The micro bubbles went away on mine after the break-in period, although it never produced a lot of them to begin with. I am running the Rio 1400 on the Remora Pro though, not the Mag 3.

It's now producing a ton of skimmate, about 1/3 of the collection cup per day. I'm still messing with cup height to fine tune it. The skimmate is still a bit watery.

FWIW my Remora always put out some bubbles. I ended up adding a sump to my system to get all the bubble producing equipment, ie skimmer, HOB filter, out of the display tank. It was well worth every penny.

ajbully... where do you have your collection cup set at? Really high, or really low? What color is the skimmate you're collecting? Just curious, because if the cup is set too high (very little skimmate, if any, in the cup over 24 hours) I've found a lot of the "foam" the skimmer creates is just dumped back into the tank.

ajbully... where do you have your collection cup set at? Really high, or really low? What color is the skimmate you're collecting? Just curious, because if the cup is set too high (very little skimmate, if any, in the cup over 24 hours) I've found a lot of the "foam" the skimmer creates is just dumped back into the tank.

Right now the collection cup is set really high and it's not producing much skimmate. I originally had it set very low and it was producing a very watery skimmate.

Don't be afraid to overskim the tank. It's virtually impossible, at least w/ that model skimmer. I prefer to collect wet skimmate in order to remove as much waste as possible. As long as the cup is not overflowing between cleanings, your fine.

Right now the collection cup is set really high and it's not producing much skimmate. I originally had it set very low and it was producing a very watery skimmate.

Somewhere in between is where you want it. The whole purpose/function of that skimmer is to create tons of microbubbles... think "ocean surf." You want all those bubbles that are carrying all the nasties to climb that tube that leads into your collection cup. If you set the cup too low, then the foam that makes it to the top of the tube will be too wet because it didn't have sufficient time for the "good foam" to drain back down the tube, into your tank. If you set the cup too high, then you make it too difficult (perhaps impossible) for ANY of the foam to get into the cup in the first place and it returns to your tank... in the form of bubbles.

I have this skimmer and it's not a set it and forget about it deal. I tweak it maybe once a week depending on the amount and color of skimmate produced. Right now, the black o-ring on mine is set maybe 1 inch below the top. Some mornings, I'll wake up to a full skimmer cup with pretty light color skimmate, for no obvious reason. I'll adjust the o-ring down a little and keep an eye on it. Then I'll usually end up creeping the o-ring back up. Over time, you'll get a feel for it.

This type of skimmer will produce a wetter skimmate than other skimmers, and that's OK. You just don't want it clear!

Back
Top Bottom