Aqua C Remora protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theodo155

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased a Aqua C Remora protein skimmer with a skimmer basket about 6 weeks ago. Frankly I have had nothing but trouble with it. I had a lot of stuff floating on the top of my tank and over night it cleared it up. But from there it's gone down hill. For one thing the set screws don't hold the basket in place on the ph(maxijet 1200). Had to use some shims to get it to work. now the stuff is back on the top of the tank. I took the skimmer apart and cleaned it and tried again but not much is happening water is being pumped because water is always coming out but it is not skimming much at all, not loads of foam unless I push the collection basket all the way down, if I pull the skimmer basket up the chamber where the ph is never runs dry and water is still coming out. My tank is a 75 gallon that was set up about 14 weeks ago with 100 lbs of cured life rock, some snails and 1 fish that was just put in a day ago. My ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all 0. I hate to say it but at this point my seaclone 100 skimmer worked better. I need help!!! any ideas?

i'm not sure which model you have, or if it's the same as mine, but I have a aqua-c remora hang on, 18" high. I am not sure wich baskett you are reffering to, but my maxijet just hangs off the hose and is submerged into the tank. with mine it was plug and play. it took about 4 weeks though for me to see any skimmate at all.
the other possability is that there is not much in your tank yet to skim out. 14 weeks isn't enough time for doc's to build up yet, in my opinion, I wouldn't bother skimming till about six months. there may be others that dissagree, but the lack of skimmate makes me think that your water (tank) just isn't old enough yet.

just my .02

With that low of a bioload and the young age of your tank, you may not see that much skimmate yet. I would still e-mail aquaC and get they're feedback.

You don't say how your tank is setup , I am not familiar with your type of skimmer but a skimmer is used to remove organics and not really made to remove debris. Does your the skimmer have a prefilter box which would remove debris before going in the skimmer. If so is the box adjusted low enough to get good water circulation. I also agree your tank may not have many organics to remove therefore you will not see a great deal of foam. I have a seaclone ( hang-on) and it appears to work OK, but I don't like the noise and will be replacing it soon.

Back
Top Bottom