Aqua C Remora surface skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yaksplat

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone have this optional attachment for the Aqua C remora ? I'm just wondering how well it works. It's kind of pricey for the amount of material used in its construction. I'm thinking of just making my own for the same purpose.

Jim

I got one im not using any more. I would be willing to part with it for lets say $15 plus shipping costs.

The surface skimmer box works great in that it skims water off the top of the tank vs taking water in from part way under the water. If your having issues with a film appearing on the suface then this will surly remove it and boost your skimmers effectivness.

The only downer to the surface skimmer is that as water evaporates in the tank the water level slowly lowers until its lower than the skimmer box inlet. when this happens the skimmer no longer gets water into it and you basicly stop skimming till you get the water level back up. So more attention is needed on making sure the water level is not to low.

This happens with any surface skimmer unless your constaly filling the tank with an auto top off device or if you have a sump/wet/dry setup. But ofcourse if you have a sump/wet/dry setup you wont need the suface skimmer attachment as much since you will already be pulling water off the surface.

It would be neat to DIY a floating outer sleeve that raised and lowered with the level of the water and always skimmed the surface.

A bouyant ring and a soft, flexible connecting skirt type thing at the bottom.

Hey is that a million dollar idea or what.

I have one and I no longer use it too. The inlet on the box in my opinion is too short and as such constant water level have to maintain. I remove mine and my skimmer perform better without it. The Remora surface is very sensitive to water level and I have a lot of problem to set it to perform well. Plus, it takes up a lot of space.
If I use it again, I will cut the inlet groove to be longer and such allow more stability.

Back
Top Bottom