Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
AquaC EV-180 vs. Eshopps Psk-150

I am upgrading my 75 gallon FOWLR to include a 38 gallon sump. I have also been considering upgrading to a 90 gallon display, but that's another matter. The first question (I have during this upgrade is the skimmer. In theprocess I will be trading in my remora pro for something a little bigger and better. I am stuck between the AquaC EV-180 and the Eshopps PSK-150. Price isn't an issue as I can get a great deal on either one used right now. I have seen fan forums for both skimmers, but still would like some extra opinions(preferably unbiased or from those who have had both). I like the fact that the AquaC can be mounted outside of the sump and therefore I could make my refugium bigger. Having a remora, I also have had a great customer service experience with AquaC. However, the Eshopps is needle wheel and everything I have heard is that is the best way to go these days. Any thoughts from anyone on the matter?

dhboiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have the EV-120 on my 75. It's a good skimmer but is a little difficult to get dialed in. I would recommend a valve between the pump and the skimmer to assist. Mine is in sump and I would recommend running the outlet from the collection cup back to the sump until you have it dialed in. It's better that go back to the sump than onto your floor and carpet.

I can't speak to the Eshopps' skimmers, but I do have a skimmer with a needlewheel, and the AquaC blows it away. The guy I bought it from said it out-performed his Reef Octopus.

It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labelling.
Rutrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a psk-150 now in my 125g, and so far I like it. I have only been using it for a few days though, and I need to work with it a little bit more.
[CENTER]Please don't forget about the toxins in some corals (like zoas and palythoas)
Latest aquarium vlog:
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote

aquac, eshopps, ev-180, protein skimmer, psk-150

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com