AquaC Remora + Micro Bubbles...please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I Lick Salt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Within the past month my Remora + MJ1200 started shooting out micro bubbles. Before it started I had no problems (although the tank is only 4 months old). I've tried everything to make them stop including:

1. Buying that stupid gigantic $30 acrylic "preskimmer and micro bubble eliminator" box from AquaC. This box eliminates most of the bubbles, but no matter how hard I've tried to fidget with the box, some still get back into the tank to make it look pretty bad. It is also gigantic in the tank and looks ridiculous. If the water level drops below the inlet for the box, the pump breaks as well. Stupid solution.

2. Replaced impeller on MJ1200.

3. Added a prefilter to MJ1200.

4. My only guess is that i'm using tap water + conditioner in the tank for right now (6 stage RO/DI coming next week). I've heard this can be problematic for protein skimmers. Will the bubbles stop when I introduce the RO/DI water to the tank? BTW I got a terrific deal off ebay on the unit, I'm very excited.

5. Lowered the pump in the water more to see if this works. It didn't.

Any other ideas?

Couple possible suggestions:
1) Try slowing water flow
2) Completely cleaning the unit and wait a weak for slime to build up to prevent initial bubbles (new units will bubble for ~4hours to 4 days). If this doesn't do it, you'll need to tweak it a bit of course. Sometimes the seals on the units also become poor -- consider replacing them or disassembling, cleaning, drying reassembling to re-establish proper seals (slightly redundant).

Give it a month or two and they will stop. The skimmer just has to slime up inside.

Back
Top Bottom