AquaC Remora Skimmer problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have bought a AquaC Remora MJ skimmer . It has been skimming for over two weeks. But the skimmate is very green and not smelly at all. I have tried everything and can't seem to get it skim better. My previous skimmer a Deltec MC600 was much better.

Does anyone have any tips? I have already tried adjusting the height of the collector without any success. I think this skimmer is probably over rated.

I am beggining to think it is over rated as well. Read the reveiw thread.

Shame.

So the debate begins.....since the remora is getting so many complaints....what really is the best thin HOB skimmer!?!!?

The Bak-Pak?

The Prizm?

Opinions please!

Well, I have been using the Deltec MCE600 which was very good. At least the skimmate was very dark and smelly. The reason why I changed to the Remora is because the Deltec was a bit noisy. But then again the Remora is probably more louder. I have also had a Prizm before which I think is pretty useless. So I think I'll switch back to my Deltec and put the Remora on ebay.

which size is it and what are you asking for it with shipping to the US( I under stand you are UK )

Well, I bought it from MarineDepot for $179.95. It is a MJ1200 with drain fitting and there is a surface skimmer as well @ $28.95. I have no idea what I want yet and I have no idea how much it would cost to ship to the US. If you're really serious, I could find out how much the shipping would be and get back to you in a private mail.

i have the remora and i think that it does a good job. whats your bioload like? mine took along time to do anything since i only have a couple of fish, maybe thats whats goin on. imo, 2 weeks isnt that long. i would maybe wait and see what happens with it. it might not be broken in yet.

I too have the remora with the MJ1200. I think that it is a great Skimmer. Its not too loud, and skims quite well.

My skim is very green, and smells like the ocean.

give it more time. It does take some time to break in.

HTH

JOhn

I have to agree that maybe you have not given it enough time to break in yet. There is no info on tank and inhabitants for us to be sure. Can you give us this info.

I have a 45G tank, with medium bio load. The fish are: 1xregal, 1xyellow tang, 1xmaroon and 1x sixline with some coral. Ok, I'll give it another 2 weeks to break in. I hope it will make a difference. The problem at the moment is since it only produces a green watery skimmate, it is not effective enough in removing the waste from the water. So I am seeing algea growth right now.

My Remora pulls out a really dark brown skimmate and fills the cup every 7-10 days. I'd give it a couple more weeks as mentioned, and if your still not happy go back to the deltec. I don't think the Remora is over rated at all.
One mod you can do is to keep the tube connecting the pump to the skimmer as short as possible. I trimmed an inch or two off mine.

i have mine skimming very wet and i get a dark green skinmate, maybe about a 1/2 inch every few days. i have a light bioload, tho. have been battling algae, so trying to get all that i can out! lol. thats a good trick, the shortening of the tube, im goin to try it.... thanks! i still think that it hasnt been long enough tho. give it awhile longer. i love mine.

mine took a really long time to break in.....2-3 months....

mine is also at half way up, and removes about a 1/2" dark green every week.

as for noise i took advice from someone on here i think, and put a wet papertowel over the left side compartment, over the intake, it cut the noise down to silent. 100% better.

the only complaint i have is the amount of airbubbles...definetly dont touch the inside of the cup when cleaning, causes more airbubbles.

Back
Top Bottom