Aquarist Guidline - MUST READ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have seen this and even printed one out. I think it is a place to start, but does not cover nearly enough. I honestly cannot imagine anyone carrying one around with them and checking the list while at a store. Nor can I imagine any LFS would keep them out for people as it would be counter productive to their sales.

Hara, I agree with your statement about the lfs. But an aquarist doesn't have to carry it around to the store. If they have a target fish they're considering, they could quickly reference it as a consideration prior to buying.

Somehow, I'd like to think that most of us do consider the impacts of our decisions. And we can also enjoy our hobby just as much by making considerate decisions with he best information we have.

In a perfect world, everyone would consider the impact of their decisions. Unfortunately, a HUGE number of people (myself included) succumb to implulse buying. No amount of literature in the world is going to change that.

It’s a nice quick guide for beginners but it only lists 15 fish and one eel that it recommends. IMO it should at least provide 30+ to be taken more seriously. The yellow tang isn’t even on the “list” good or bad and it’s one of the more popular fish.

tecwzrd, I totally agree with you. The organization is very new. At least it's a start. Besides, it doesn't need to be comprehensive to be accurate.

Hara, I'm no saint. I try but sometimes I may also buy a fish/coral that I shouldn't but again, more knowledge is always better, especially if a newbie who hasn't discovered aa sees it.

Back
Top Bottom