aquarium at dentist office

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocean

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently changed dentist, and in the waiting he has a huge tank. ( five feet long at least) Today besides staring inside the tank I looked to see what he had for equipment. No sump, no skimmer, no canister filter. Two large HOB filters and a heater, that was it, plus two average lights that didn't put out much light. Tank was clean, not one speck of algea! Lots of live rock pilled up almost to the top. Not much growing on the live rock, a couple mushrooms and a couple sponges. Found it interesting how nice his tank looked for being so simple. ( yellow tang, maroon clown, two per. Clowns and some blue and blue and yellow damsels for livestock)

A lot of daily maintenance to keep it that clean then maybe?

Least it was looking good and not something installed because that's the kinda thing waiting rooms should have and then left alone for 6 months...

maybe there was chaeto in the HOBs, and mushroons and softies are more tolerante to nitrates then LPS and SPS.

was ther a DSB in the aquarium? those are a good way of removing nitrates from the system also when its properly colonated

fouldsy said:
A lot of daily maintenance to keep it that clean then maybe?

Least it was looking good and not something installed because that's the kinda thing waiting rooms should have and then left alone for 6 months...

I was thinking the same thing, it must be well cared for. But the fish he had before were a grown bird wrasse, a long nose butterfly, a purple tang, a boxfish, and a maroon clown, they were all huge!! They seemed to be healthy.....

Gti_Leo said:
maybe there was chaeto in the HOBs, and mushroons and softies are more tolerante to nitrates then LPS and SPS.

was ther a DSB in the aquarium? those are a good way of removing nitrates from the system also when its properly colonated

No DSB, may 1 1/2 inches at the most. As for the chaeto the HOB's had the tops on and no light that I could see, except for the strip lights. He does have all new fish now so maybe it wasn't as "clean" as it looked. Wish I could have seen him today and asked questions, the dental hygenist didn't seem to know much about the tank, which drove me crazy!! :)

well my sand does keep my nitrates low. i'm at 0ppm and have two hobs and some halmedia plants, but then again they don't really remove much, my sand bed is maybe 2 inches deep and i have 19 lbs of live rock

If the fish seem healthy and tanks appears to have so little equipment for maintaining it, maybe he has a doctor's trick up his sleeve ;) ? They got all sorts of cool stuff at the dentists! So long as the fish don't catch a glimpse of 'Finding Nemo' on the waiting room TV...

It would be nice to chat with the dentist though to see if there is something else not apparent though. How much you wanna go back to the dentist though to figure it out :whistle: ?

fouldsy said:
If the fish seem healthy and tanks appears to have so little equipment for maintaining it, maybe he has a doctor's trick up his sleeve ;) ? They got all sorts of cool stuff at the dentists! So long as the fish don't catch a glimpse of 'Finding Nemo' on the waiting room TV...

It would be nice to chat with the dentist though to see if there is something else not apparent though. How much you wanna go back to the dentist though to figure it out :whistle: ?

I would love to make a special trip just to talk to him about his aquarium but don't want to pay for an office visit!! Lol

fouldsy said:

Have you ever really tried to talk to the dentist while you're there?? He sounds great but all you can do is blabble something outa the side of your mouth and drool,....novacaine (sp) is a wonderful and humiliating thing :)

scubasteve03 said:
I agree thats alot of filtration keeps his tank clean

He has a lot of rock and all large pieces, the rock is almost to the top of the tank, plus still a lot of room for the fish swim. And his HOB filters are huge! At least I haven't seen any that large, of course never had a reason for one, dang!! That does it, going back next week and taking pics and asking questions, with permission of course!!

Have you ever really tried to talk to the dentist while you're there?? He sounds great but all you can do is blabble something outa the side of your mouth and drool,....novacaine (sp) is a wonderful and humiliating thing :)

Pfftttt, I don't need Novocaine to blabble incoherently and drool :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom