Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

aquarium at dentist office

I recently changed dentist, and in the waiting he has a huge tank. ( five feet long at least) Today besides staring inside the tank I looked to see what he had for equipment. No sump, no skimmer, no canister filter. Two large HOB filters and a heater, that was it, plus two average lights that didn't put out much light. Tank was clean, not one speck of algea! Lots of live rock pilled up almost to the top. Not much growing on the live rock, a couple mushrooms and a couple sponges. Found it interesting how nice his tank looked for being so simple. ( yellow tang, maroon clown, two per. Clowns and some blue and blue and yellow damsels for livestock)

Old 07-28-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

A lot of daily maintenance to keep it that clean then maybe?

Least it was looking good and not something installed because that's the kinda thing waiting rooms should have and then left alone for 6 months...

fouldsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

maybe there was chaeto in the HOBs, and mushroons and softies are more tolerante to nitrates then LPS and SPS.

was ther a DSB in the aquarium? those are a good way of removing nitrates from the system also when its properly colonated
Old 07-28-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fouldsy
A lot of daily maintenance to keep it that clean then maybe?

Least it was looking good and not something installed because that's the kinda thing waiting rooms should have and then left alone for 6 months...
I was thinking the same thing, it must be well cared for. But the fish he had before were a grown bird wrasse, a long nose butterfly, a purple tang, a boxfish, and a maroon clown, they were all huge!! They seemed to be healthy.....
Old 07-28-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo
maybe there was chaeto in the HOBs, and mushroons and softies are more tolerante to nitrates then LPS and SPS.

was ther a DSB in the aquarium? those are a good way of removing nitrates from the system also when its properly colonated
No DSB, may 1 1/2 inches at the most. As for the chaeto the HOB's had the tops on and no light that I could see, except for the strip lights. He does have all new fish now so maybe it wasn't as "clean" as it looked. Wish I could have seen him today and asked questions, the dental hygenist didn't seem to know much about the tank, which drove me crazy!!
Old 07-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe it's because there are do little fish in such a big tank. Not much of a mess.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

well my sand does keep my nitrates low. i'm at 0ppm and have two hobs and some halmedia plants, but then again they don't really remove much, my sand bed is maybe 2 inches deep and i have 19 lbs of live rock
Old 07-29-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Low light is probably keeping the algae down.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

If the fish seem healthy and tanks appears to have so little equipment for maintaining it, maybe he has a doctor's trick up his sleeve ? They got all sorts of cool stuff at the dentists! So long as the fish don't catch a glimpse of 'Finding Nemo' on the waiting room TV...

It would be nice to chat with the dentist though to see if there is something else not apparent though. How much you wanna go back to the dentist though to figure it out ?
fouldsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like the amount of live rock is part of it.Two lbs a gallon does a lot,maybe he has that.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com