Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2004, 12:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Aquarium computer software?

I've read a few articles that have mentioned computer systems that will monitor and dose your aquarium water. Are there any good systems now or is this a thing of the future?

Old 09-20-2004, 02:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi,
I would quite like to know about this as well.
It would be great to just have a laptop connected to your fish tank to regulate lights (even adjusting to seasonality, you could just type in the lattitude you wanted to replicate), temperature, salinity, monitor water parameters etc. It's something I have always toyed with doing.
Jeff

Old 09-20-2004, 03:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
well a lot of the stsyems out there that will comtrol the lighting and water chem are $$$ but i do know there are some prgrams out there that you can get to recrod all things added to the tank and what the price was and what the water is testing at. i think one of them is infinity and are part of this site.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi,

I downloaded one from this site and found it to be rather good. I then realised that if you already have Excel on your computer you can pretty much do it all in Excel and make some excellent graphs to boot of your water chemistry. (If you don't have excel, openoffice's spreadsheet application is almost completely compatible. In fact, I think it would be fun to make some excel templates available to aquarists.

With regard to automating an aquarium, I had something quite different in mind. I thought that one might be able to come quite close to replicating the seasonality of an Amazon tributary by changing the water flow and temperature, similulating the changing lighting conditions, salinity and so forth and see if you couldn't get some real troublemakers to spawn for you. And then there is the concept of the automated water change. Now that would be great!!! Jeff
Old 09-20-2004, 04:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is the name of the software that will control lights, and water chems?
Old 09-20-2004, 04:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

thats exactly what i was thinking about. With today's technology I can't imagine that there isn't a system that can do it.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Seems to me from what I can see so far is that the systems are all too divergent in the way they work. You would need a more or less common interface to the computer that would allow you to use a common interface such as x10 or the pict controllers to effect what you want.
I wonder what a little googling under home automation might reveal. Jeff
Old 09-20-2004, 04:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
there is reefcon pro. that is software that has a computer interface with it. that will do all like stock and real time water chem i do think. and then there is the neptune system and the aquaccontroller pro. take a look at merinedepot.com for more info on them.

Tags
software

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com