Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2006, 09:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

aquarium disaster

hi all i recently switched over to saltwater, went all out on equipment just kept my 55 gallon all glass, it was only a month old, so i figured that would be a decent size to start out with. well after all was said and done, live rock, live sand, canaster filter, lighting, and so on $1150.00 dollars later and 7 weeks of cycling it was ready for some real critters, so i go out and buy some fish, acclimate them and run out to my doctors appointment, when i returned, my water was missing, well i cant say missing, it was on the floor, through the floor, into the ceiling of the apartment downstairs, and through her floor and into the basement, the caulking job done by all-glasses assemblers did a shoddy job causing my tank to let go at the seams. i was livid, my lanlord is livid, and the tenant downstairs is livid, i emailed all-glass after i ran out to the store that i bought the tank from and they replaced it free of charge, which was nice of them, but said that they couldnt do anything about anything else that was lost. so in my email to all-glass im asking for replacement and or compensation for all that is lost, i lost a dog face puffy, and a huma huma trigger, the ocean water i replaced, the live sand, the fish, 36 lbs of live rock, my Aquarium SunPod Metal Halide 48" which shorted out and fried even though it was in a ground fault, as far as damage to building i have insurance and they will need to reimburse my deductable. so has anyone dealt with all glass or know of anyone that has dealt with them on a simular experience?. because i told them that i will take it farther by getting an attorney in a heartbeat, the manager of the pet store will even back it up that it was an assembly error. well thank you for your time and responses. dgorner@sbcglobal.net

Old 04-01-2006, 09:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sorry to hear about your huge problem. What a bummer.

I just went and looked, hoping that I had kept the warranty info from the sticker that comes attached to AGA's tanks. Unfortunately I didn't, but if memory serves, they make a disclaimer that they are not responsible for incidental damages, and that they will only be reponsible for the replacement cost of their product. That's not to say that they won't work with you. I have a couple of their tanks, but have never had a problem, so no experience at all with their customer service dept. Good Luck.

Old 04-01-2006, 10:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to TheRealFF
Wow... That is the baddest thing in the world Im so sorry to hear that

I am one of those reefnuts that are actually nuts!
TheRealFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 11:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

yeah i havent been able to sleep since it happened im afraid the new tank is going to rupture any second. my nerves are shot.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to TheRealFF
Hmm... i just thought of something interesting. Check ur LR if there's a mantis shrimp. I've heard those shrimps can break glass tanks when they see their reflection 0.o

I am one of those reefnuts that are actually nuts!
TheRealFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 12:00 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

This portion of your post has been edited, it is in violation of the User Agreement. Further violations of the User Agreement could result in removal from our community.

i take that back, i thought you were pulling my leg, i looked up mantis shrimp and low and behold they talk of that, but they say they are 30 to 50 cm long, i would have most definitly seen 1 of those, i did have a ton of conepods, and ill bet my life on the fact they are not gonna break any tank glass. but thanks that was for some interesting reading.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:25 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

sorry to hear about the tank problems...
when you get things going again adding those fish as the first ones is not a goo idea in a new tank. you should start with a smaller fish and let the tank mature some.

The LR should still be usable and so should the sand.

I don't see AGA doing any more then they have already.. The tank could have been damaged during transport and during your set up. No way you can make them pay.. JMO>.
its a risk of the hobby..

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 12:32 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

seaham i cycled the tank for 7 weeks with 2 dominoe damsels, i had just gotton rid of them and introduced the other fish, believe me im going slower than i have patients for, but even the manager at the lfs that i purchased the tank from assured me that the caulking around the bottom glass was not seated to a clean surface, not allowing a solid contact to seal the tank. i looked at it again today and you can see that the sealant had only adhered about 1/3 of the 1" surface area, so it is without doubt assemblers error. and im sure your right, they probally wont replace anything but i wont let it go away easily.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com