Aquarium Emergency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NarwhalLover3

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello. My 90 gallon bow front is leaking from the bottom seal. I need to know what a good sealer or caulk would be aquarium safe because I know that the regular kind is toxic. Also, will I need to empty the tank completely to seal the inside?

Hello. My 90 gallon bow front is leaking from the bottom seal. I need to know what a good sealer or caulk would be aquarium safe because I know that the regular kind is toxic. Also, will I need to empty the tank completely to seal the inside?
bummer.. Use GE brand 100% silicone, no additives for mold or mildew.. Unfortunately you will need to empty the tank, scrape the old silicone out and prep area with alcohol for proper adhesion.. It's no small task..

bummer.. Use GE brand 100% silicone, no additives for mold or mildew.. Unfortunately you will need to empty the tank, scrape the old silicone out and prep area with alcohol for proper adhesion.. It's no small task..

Where do you get the silicone? Would it say "no additives for mold or mildew?"

If you're in the us? Any home goods store. It's the ge 1 read the label and it will list additives.. They all say "not suitable for aquarium use".. Not to worry, lots of us have used it successfully..

They should sell it at places like PetSmart or Petco and I would imagine any good LFS should have it too.

You will not only have to empty the tank to reseal it, you also need to give it 48 hours of dry time minimum before you reassemble it. If you do it sooner, you can lose your aquarium livestock due to chemical leaching, regardless of the type of silicone you use. Additionally, if it is in fact leaking around the seals, and not the result of a crack or fracture, you will need to remove the old silicone in order to reseal, as simply placing new silicone over the old typically does not fix the problem. Good luck.

Thank you. I am currently moving all of the livestock and live rock to a spare 55. Will the sand be fine in a 5 gallon bucket without heat and water circulation during the 48 hours? My house stays around 75-78 degrees.

as long as the sand has water over the surface not allowing air it should be fine

is this a new tank ? if so it may be under warranty ,you can get a new tank
rather than fixing it cause it probably will leak again somewhere else

Thank you. I am currently moving all of the livestock and live rock to a spare 55. Will the sand be fine in a 5 gallon bucket without heat and water circulation during the 48 hours? My house stays around 75-78 degrees.

as long as the sand has water over the surface not allowing air it should be fine

is this a new tank ? if so it may be under warranty ,you can get a new tank
rather than fixing it cause it probably will leak again somewhere else

No. It's at least ten years old. :(

I can't right now. Unless I want to downsize. I checked with my lfs and they only have up to 75 gallons.

Back
Top Bottom