Aquarium in apartment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jcj0033

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering a lot of us have pretty big tanks inside of our apartments, what is the biggest tank that you guys have put in an apartment? What floor do you stay on and what did the front office have to say about it ?

It is completely up to management. On ground floors it's less of an issue. You must have their prior permission for anything above about 10 gallons would be my guess. They hate fish tanks and water beds.

Tank goes against a load bearing wall, most of the time that can be a outside wall. It should sit in a way that water spills are contained, like maybe a tray or liner.

I would rather apologies than ask:)

Id say if a high rise ( 5 or more stories) the weight should be ok up to a 90 or 125 without too much trouble

In a house or low rise you could have issues.

I have a medium 3 1/2 appartement, and I have a 10g qt, 20g reef, and a 30g hightech fw.

So 60g total volume.

I would rather apologies than ask:)

Id say if a high rise ( 5 or more stories) the weight should be ok up to a 90 or 125 without too much trouble

In a house or low rise you could have issues.

Only problem with that is your lease. They could also sue for damages and win. Weight isn't the issue, it's water damage to your unit and the ones below.

I have a 55 gallon in my apartment I'm on the 8th floor

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm an insurance broker. If you have a renters policy. It would cover most water damage that you were legally liable for.

I had a 125 with a 75 gallon sump underneath on a second floor apartment for a couple years :)
img_2899425_0_936a08716ee989bceb7713f06ff2d2a4.jpg

They could also tell you to take it down or kick you out if they find out you have it in there against what the agreement says.

I'd get renters insurance and a lot of it. With a home rental, you have one residence to cover. With a rental, you could have neighbors and those beneath you (and maybe even beneath the neighbors) depending on the size of the tank and the way the water decided to spread. That's a big lawsuit that you would lose in a heartbeat.

This was explored thoroughly in the 70-80's with the popularity of waterbeds. Saltwater aquariums can potentially cause damage even worse.

This is all solid info.. I fix homes and such for a living and water damage is/can be a financial pitfall. Mold is no joke..: a few black spots can total a whole ceiling.. Proceed with caution;)

IMO as long as you are cautious not to damage your apartment with leaky tank you should be okay. Having something underneath as a drip pan is a good idea. I should have thought of that before I set up my 60 gal DT in a 2-storey apartment. However, my landlord have seen my tank but did not complain about it.

I'd still consider the renters insurance. We got it on our place when I got my 240g and the interesting thing was that added to our car insurance, our monthly payment went DOWN about $6! I don't get how insuring something big lowers your payments, but it did.

Back
Top Bottom