Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2004, 04:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pacu (http://www.emalaysiahotel.com/angling/images/pic5.jpg)-- it's what's for dinner!

Old 04-26-2004, 04:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Wow, those bristles look painful, I guess I've just been lucky because I have some HUGE ones in my tank and never got pricked by one yet.

Old 04-26-2004, 05:22 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

there's a little LFS near me that has a Pacu that's bigger than my dog! The thing has gotta weigh 100 pounds easy.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:29 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I heard that touching a fire worm hurts like heck, I heard that its 100times worst feeling than stinging neddles 8O 8O 8O
Old 04-26-2004, 05:34 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfriends05
And that also gives me another reason to use duct tape other than fixing my car.
You need a reason to use duct tape? 8O

Here, make yourself a wallet. 8)
Old 04-26-2004, 05:57 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to firerescue2002
Quote:
I heard that touching a fire worm hurts like heck, I heard that its 100times worst feeling than stinging neddles
absolutely right... made the mistake with a wild one while collecting Harlequin Brittle Stars in in the caribbean. Flipped over a rock and found a tiny fireworm with my index finger. Some expensive diving gloves were worn after that encounter. Only stupidity kept me from putting them on that time. I have had another un-intentional, (snorkeling shallow water big wave pushed me into him) bad experience with a wild diadema (Long spined black sea urchin) painful burning sensation stronger but similar to that of a bristle worm. Pricked by a captive lionfish while cleaning his tank he was small and he snuck up on me. That was very painful throbbing and swelling of my hand and midway up my forearm and he was only the size of a half-dollar.

Back in my freshwater days I had kept a few piranas and neglecting to keep my eye on one while cleaning their tank. I managed to corner one and he took a small chunk out of my wrist about te size of a dime.

Thats all of m experiences so far I am sure there will be more in the future.....

Andrew
Old 04-26-2004, 06:02 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow 8O Painful experiences for you, when I was in the puget sound and crabbing and a big red rock crab cut off my index, but I was able to get it reattached, it hurt sooo bad that little bugger went into the boiling pot for being a bad crab!!
Old 04-26-2004, 06:09 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfriends05
Quote:
Oy - duct tape! Duct tape works wonders
Never thought about using duct tape. Probably a whole lot easier than tweezers. And that also gives me another reason to use duct tape other than fixing my car.
I have also read that vinegar will dissolve them, but always wondered about the ieces left in the skin...

Bristle worms

Been stung by 3 volitan lionfish and 2 dwarf lionfish (cause I was stupid, my wife just said waasssssss???)

Bitten by triggers and groupers on countless occasions

My clown and my blenny bite me all the time.

I almost cut my finger off on a custom made tank with no frame around it trying to move it, the guy that made it didn't sand the edges and we didn't know.

Never been sensitive to nematocysts, but there was one time I handled a hammer coral and then rubbed under my eye...I thought I was on fire.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 07:00 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mhaynes01
people actually kept pacus in a tank how did they stay in their they look big
Old 04-27-2004, 02:32 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
bad experience with a wild diadema (Long spined black sea urchin) painful burning sensation stronger
When I read that quote I had a big flash back. I don't how I'd forgotten about this one, but I was reaching between two rocks to flip over a snail that was waving it's foot hopelessly around when one of the spines of the long spined urchin caught me right underneath the fingernail. Let me tell ya, thats a new definition of pain.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com