Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2004, 03:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Aquarium injuries...

I thought it would be interesting to see how many people have been injured (ex. bit, stung, scratched, etc.) while working or playing in their aquariums.

I have been stung by an anemone half way up my arm (nice red patch for most the day and it stung like h3ll), bit by damsels, picasso trigger, dogface puffer and had the unfortunate pleasure of grabbing a bristleworm on three different occasions. Spent a combined total of about four hours with tweezers trying to pull the somewhat invisible bristles out of my hand. Maybe I am just accident prone, but I'd thought it would be fun to see who else has been injured and by what.

This post, in no means was made to make fun of other people's injuries, but if you want to make fun of mine, feel more than welcome.

Old 04-26-2004, 03:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

When I was first setting up a tank on my own and my fiance was out of town, I was electrocuted by a broken heater. I pulled my arm back so quick and scrapped the heck out of it. It was still raw looking when my fiance returned from his fishing trip 2 days later

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 03:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

My parents used to have a "tall" 55g (it was a fraction narrower than the standard and a few inches higher) and to do water changes/clean/etc. I had to stand up on a fold-out metal stepping stool. Well, this was back before I did any researching about fish (my parents picked out the tank's inhabitants- I'm going to guess that I was 10 years old) and we had a pacu in there. At one point when I was cleaning out some caves the pacu decided to have a freak-out episode and he came tearing across the tank and slammed into my arm. I was so surprised I yanked my arm really far back and consequently fell backward off the stool.

I survived it, naturally, but I got a big cut on the side of my leg from a fixture sticking off the stool.

That's the real reason you don't keep pacus. :P
Old 04-26-2004, 04:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mhaynes01
what are pacus??
Old 04-26-2004, 04:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to nguyen27 Send a message via Yahoo to nguyen27
Pacus = big ugly fish momma made dinner from...
Big gain South America fish. I heard people kept Pacus, and they grow big, bust their tank...
Old 04-26-2004, 04:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mhaynes01
ohh ok
Old 04-26-2004, 04:25 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I had a run in with Spike while moving rock around once. His spines were filled with thick, sticky black venom. The burning sensation was... not pleasent and left a black dot under the skin for a few days afterwards.... I miss that guy
Old 04-26-2004, 04:38 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Hmmm .. probably too many to count over the years. 8)

Most memorable - getting the heck stung out of my arm by a *huge* carpet anemone -- felt like a nasty sunburn for days.

Getting nicked by a SW catfish -- I thought I was going to die -- it hurt so much. I think that immediately dunking my hand into extremely hot water was the only thing that saved me from an ER trip.

A too-big-for-it's britches Tomato clown who drew blood every time I put my hand in *her* tank.

Bristle worms -- hmmm, I've been accused of "petting" them, LOL. But yes, they hurt!

Quote:
Spent a combined total of about four hours with tweezers trying to pull the somewhat invisible bristles out of my hand.
Oy - duct tape! Duct tape works wonders.

Finger after petting Bristle worms.....
ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I've actually been pretty lucky...don't think anything has really bitten/stung/cut me... at least not enough to remember? I recently purchased a pair of the shoulder length glove to avoid injuries and contaminating my tank.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Oy - duct tape! Duct tape works wonders
Never thought about using duct tape. Probably a whole lot easier than tweezers. And that also gives me another reason to use duct tape other than fixing my car.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com