aquarium lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfriends05

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been wondering about the use of reptile lights with corals. I have not dared try reptile lights in the case that it would either not work or grow stuff that would be completely unwanted. The reason I ask, is that there are full spectrum reptile lights that claim to imitate natural sunlight. And since that is what we are all trying to do with aquatic lighting in one form or another, what reasons would I not want to try reptile lights besides the heat factor. (which can be fairly easily controlled). TIA for en'light'ening me on this subject. :D

I have seen those lights that are advertised as "full spectrum" but what exactly does that mean? When they are on they look fairly yellow to me so I assume they are in the 5000-6500K range.

I wouldn't use them simply for the fact that they don't advertise an exact spectrum and most of them are NO lamps. Can't do a lot with those if keeping corals. Besides, I wouldn't want a "yellow tank look" anyway. Could also lead to undesirable algae growth.

Reptile lights are not going to have the correct specitrum. They also probably put out more heat than you will like.

My son is looking into getting a lizard of some sort so we were looking at all the stuff to get it set up when I was reading the box of some of the reptile lights and it was on of those...'hum i wonder' moments. I knew there where reasons but they just weren't coming to me right off the top of my head besides heat. So thank you for helping me solve one of those itching 'hum' questions.

Reptile lights are available in PC's, however they will be very yellow and most of them have very high UVA and UVB output. Many reptiles need the extra UV and, although corals are fairly resistant to it, I think you'd be much better off to stick with a 10k or higher bulb for aquatic use. Not to mention the prices on reptile bulbs are very high. If you do desire the "sunlight" look, get an aquarium bulb rated at 6500k.

Back
Top Bottom