Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2004, 06:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Filter

Does anyone have experience with this purification method vs. using RO/DI water? LiveAquaria recommends them:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...4+22789+113585

and the price is right. Does anyone know if this will remove phosphates/silicates from tap water?

Old 06-16-2004, 09:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I recently started using one and it works great. TDS reading is ZERO. No waste water (only reason I went this route) and it's much faster than RO units.

I've made about 100 gal so far and only half the resin has changed colour, but this will depend on your tap water quality.

BTW, this will be be a costly solution in the long run so I'd only advise it if you cannot install a RO/DI unit for some reason.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 09:47 PM   #3

do you think the RO unit is the cheaper alternative in the long run? Have you had any problem with brown algae with that filter? I see that the cartridges cost about $20 so I guess it depends on your water quality as to whether it's a cheaper solution?
Old 06-16-2004, 10:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, since even the manufacturer claims it could make as little as 25 gal per cartridge I'd say that's pretty costly water right there.

You probably won't see any difference between this and RO water once it's in the tank. The only benefits are those I mentioned already.

Unless your water use is metered like mine it's probably going to be a lot more cost effective going with a good RO/DI unit instead.

Old 06-16-2004, 10:39 PM   #5

did you experience an algae spike with this water as you were completing your first nitrogen cycle? or new tank syndrome?

thanks so much for your answers.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

The tank I'm using this filter with is still cycling but the water has remained crystal clear so far. There's the usual small amount of algae growth on the rock/glass due to ambient light, but it's nothing compared to if you use tap water.

Old 06-16-2004, 11:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I also use one. Have been from the beginning. They do state that you can get as little as 25 gallons of DI water. This totaly depends on your tap water quality from the start. Mine is fairly good, so I get alot more than the average per cartridge.

For the record, this only make DI water and RO water. For the most part, it is a good deal for me. Your milage may very depending on your water quailty.
5-6 Inch Sand Bed-200+ lbs of LR
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 12:06 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have already gotten over 100 gallons from my first cartridge so I am very happy. I used one years ago on my FW tanks and it reduced my algae outbreaks tremendously. My tap water is pretty soft and not that bad quality but I want to play it safe with a reef tank.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 12:34 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Unfortunately the tap water where I live sucks so I only got 25 gal per cartrige. I started using RO water from a pure water store down the street. Only 25 cents a gal. Don't know how good it really is but so far it is better than tap water.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:23 AM   #10

wow...100 gallons would be pretty sweet off of 1 filter. I'm out in colorado where the water is super hard so I have a feeling that I'm looking at around 50 gallons max per filter.

Tags
filter, tap water, water filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com