Aquarium supplements, how much is too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claw Atticas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been told that there are certain reef supplements (iodide and molybdenum) that aren't really advised to supplement unless you're testing for them for risk of overdose, and I was wondering about problems with other supplements?

I've heard the only problem with an overdose of calcium is precipitate, iodide can be poisonous, I don't know about molybdenum but I've heard it's not necessary... I just bought a magnesium test kit, and I was wondering the dangers of that. I've been using Kent Marine Superbuffer which has sodium, magnesium, and potassium, and reef crystals for salt which has extra calcium and "select trace elements".

My calcium usually stays between 400 to 450, but when I checked my magnesium, it says sea water has 1270ppm magnesium, though my testing showed 1380ppm in my tank.

So while wondering if there's any dangers to overdosing on magnesium, I also was wondering what the problems would be with an overdose of chemicals like strontium, bromide, iron, potassium, etc?

(Also random smilies, because they were the bottom three on the right)
:snipersmile::dope::rocket:

You dont really need to supplement anything. PWC`s will do all the supplementing you need. The only one I can think you might have to do is calcium and from your info you dont need that. Weekly or Bi weekly will do fine IMO.

Hmmm I disagree to an extent, but that also depends on expected results since different salts offer varied components and these components degrade/get used up over time. The main elements aquarists are concerned with are calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium. You would be better served to use a supplement system that is dedicated to calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium separately or a two-part ca/alk while dosing mag separately. Imo the "all-in-one" products are too sketchy in achieving a desired range and especially if you have an extensive coral population (lps and sps). Magnesium is one element that could benefit from partial water changes alone due to its abundance in sw even though calcifying organisms readily uptake it and helps stabilize ca and alk. Most aquarists seem to shoot for at least 1400ppm and many "reefers" overseas often aim for 1900ppm without problems.

If testing shows your lacking something, it may be worth dosing. However regular water changes should both reduce the less than desireable stats and replenish the elements your system needs. Personally stopped dosing over a year ago, things have been much better and I've saved a lot of money, better spent on salt. ; )

As Innovator mentioned, dosing really depends on the salt mix you're using, how much coral you have, and how often you do water changes. If you're using a low calcium salt and have enough corals to lower your calcium substantially before your next water change, then dosing for calcium and alkalinity is an OK thing. If you use a commercial two-part solution, most of them include magnesium and some of the other minor trace elements also.

But all those other things? (Iodine, molybdenum, etc) on their own? I'd say it's unnecessary... or at least it has been in my tank. If I ever need to dose that stuff, then I'll be looking for a different salt!

Back
Top Bottom