Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2004, 09:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Aquarium Systems Natural Wave Timer

I just installed an Aquarium Systems Natural Wave Timer along with two Maxi Jet 1200 PH's in my 55 gal tank. I have one PH in each corner of the tank pointing towards the center of the tank. The wave timer is set to about 50 seconds. I have two questions:

1. Will the increased water movement have any negative effects on my livestock? These PH's are really powerful.

2. Is a 50 second interval adequate? What is the standard or what do you use as an interval?

Thanks,

Van

Old 05-02-2004, 11:53 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Re: Aquarium Systems Natural Wave Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybercron
1. Will the increased water movement have any negative effects on my livestock? These PH's are really powerful.
I think the effect will be positive. Even though the MJ1200's seem like a lot in your tank, it's still less than the currents on the reef.

Quote:
2. Is a 50 second interval adequate? What is the standard or what do you use as an interval?
I would probably speed it up some. Remember you have a third timed outlet on this unit. I would add a third PH...perhaps a 900...and place it on the back wall of the tank pointed toward a front corner so that it's flow will collide with the flow from the other two PH's. The third outlet has a longer interval than the first two. This will give you some turbulence instead of back and forth laminar current. Although I'm sure you have other flow in the tank, you're still a bit below the recommended curve with the PH's you have. The minimum target for a 55 gal tank is about 550 gph. The MJ1200 is rated at 295gph. With them alternating, 295gph is all you are getting because only one of them is on at any given time. You can use the diverters that come with the PH's to spread the flow a bit so it isn't so directional. HTH and, as always, JMHO 8O .

Thanks,

Tags
stem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com