Aquarium top or no top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumAddiction

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently read that it is good to not have a top on your reef tank since it promotes more oxygen and gas exchange. I have also read that people use a complete top which seals the lid.

I would like to hear what everyone thinks. Top or Topless!!!

AquariumAddiction said:
I recently read that it is good to not have a top on your reef tank since it promotes more oxygen and gas exchange. I have also read that people use a complete top which seals the lid.

I would like to hear what everyone thinks. Top or Topless!!!

Topless is definitely the way to go. Only reason i would ever suggest a top is with jumping fish. However even in that case i suggest screen tops. Screen tops allow gas exchange, do no block light and reduce heat buildup compared to solid tops.

I would agree even though I have a bio cube 29 I leave the front lid open. If I had a bigger tank it would be rimless and topless!

I love the no top look, it's clean looking....

Topless tank is the way to go. I have alot of wrasses that jump so i built a screen top for it so they can get out. My tank stays very cold to the point that my heater will turn on even when my metal halides are on.

In my opinion glass tops are just one more thing to clean. The tops at my lfs all look gross due to salt build up, calcium build stuff of that nature. Topless all the way.

Cool, thanks everyone. I made a screen out of the plastic screen material you get for lights in a drop down ceiling. It was easy to cut to perfect size and it works great. No light issues and no fish issues either.

I say top...JUST because it KILLS me to hear of fish that jump and die. How hard is it to have at least a screen? Even fish that arent known for jumping can an have done it. Its a big waste of life IMO..so plz have somthing lol.

Sniperhank said:
The screen for a drop in light is egg crate. You cam get it anywhere amd is pretty cheap. Love the stuff, lots of uses in this hobby for it.

This not true of my area which is a fairly large town. My lowes does not carry it and my ace only sells in an 8 pack for $75.

Egg crate will block a percentage of light. So for a reef scenario it is not optimal. Screen is your best bet if you need a top. Look at bulkreefsupply.com they sell material to make your own screen top and pretty cheaply

Open top is the only way to get sufficient gas exchange. I buy standard window screens and use the clear plastic mesh you can get from BRS to make my screen tops. The clear mesh doesn't block hardly any light at all. A top will save fish from jumping and things accidentally falling into the water. Egg crate blocks too much light.

Back
Top Bottom