Aquarium weight concerns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lunker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am considering moving to a second floor apt. (wood framed). 105 gal. tank, canopy, stand, and contents are approximately 1200 lbs. Base square footage is 10 sq ft. static laod is approx 120 lb/sq. ft. Anyone know of any problems with tanks on second floors?

bump.gif
Unless the building construction is old, it is doubtful you will have a problem. Make sure you put the tank on a load bearing wall, perpindicular to the floor joists. You should also put down a piece of plywood the same measurements as the stand to distribute the weight to the entire surface area rater than a 2" outline.

Read your lease very carefully. Some apartments don't allow aquariums on 2nd floor and most that do make renters insurance mandatory. Your weight should not be a problem as long as its distributed (like reefrunner69 said) and its level.

Weight is not the problem, as a refrigerator or freezer actually has a greater load. A water bed is even worse as the water shifts when you sit or lie on it. The concern is the water itself, in the event of a leak or catostrophic break.... 110 gallons of water immediately on the floor and down to the lower level. Check that you are allowed by your lease or rental agreement that it is allowable.

Not sure how much a loaded fridge and frezer would be but I dont think it would come close to the 1200lbs or more weight of a large tank.

The biggest factor as was mentioned is the footprint. A water bed while it probbly weights more than 1200lbs has a much larger footprint than an aquarium. ALso some leases will specify no waterbeds above ground floor.

A fully loaded fridge weighs close to 1000 lbs and has a footprint od app 30" X 30" and sits on 4 small rollers or feet. I learned this from homebuilders. figure 8.25 glbs per gallon of water, weight of average tank, amount of rock (at 2 lbs per gallon) minus the displacement of water by the rocks. (app 40 gallons) app 150 lbs of sand, livestock and stand (app 100 lbs) total weight of a 110 gallon tank 1047 lbs with a footprint of 864 sq inches, a fridge fully loaded at app 1000 lbs with a footprint (if not on 4 small feet or rollers) of 900 sq inches. both are near the 12 lbs per sq inch level. I therefore contend that it is the possibility of liquid, ie. water at the rate of 80 to 100 gallons is the real culprit. submitted for sake of argument only. (ain't I a stinker)LOL.

Back
Top Bottom