Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-03-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Aquarium Without Fish ... Is There Such A Thing?

A quick question please ... is there such a thing as a 'Invert and LR aquarium ?

I'm wondering if a tank could be done housing only live rock and interesting inverts such as shrimp, crabs, snails, feather dusters, starfish, etc.

Would the biological filter exist / survive with no fish providing a food source to sustain the bacteria?

Old 09-03-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Yep, I have a friend that has one.
Without feeding of fish, you would still need to feed the tank maybe 2-3 times a week to keep the biofilter alive and the other scavengers fed.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
is back to save the day!

I wanted to do this really because fish are such a hassle, but i was talked out of it, and saw the benefits later on. Having a couple fish in the tank, even if they are the smallest, will keep the biological bacteria alive, and as you feed them, you can just overfeed them, which would then feed the inverts you have in the tank as well. I surely plan to have more inverts than fish in my tank. Alot more. Im only going to have 4 fish, and the rest are going to be snails/shrimp/crabs/sea stars/urchins and one anemone when my tank matures down the road. Aside from all the corals i plan to stuff my tank with. :p

But also, what i may do, is setup something like a 10G or 20G, that just has all live rock and just inverts, because tbh, marine inverts are just so awesome.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
Yep, I have a friend that has one.
Without feeding of fish, you would still need to feed the tank maybe 2-3 times a week to keep the biofilter alive and the other scavengers fed.
Ok - that makes sense. There are so many interesting inverts available I think this could be an interesting aquarium in itself.

It also seems a lot of the very beautiful reef tanks I see only house a few fish at the most which creates a beautiful overall presentation of corals, sand, rock, inverts and fish.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
I wanted to do this really because fish are such a hassle, but i was talked out of it, and saw the benefits later on. Having a couple fish in the tank, even if they are the smallest, will keep the biological bacteria alive, and as you feed them, you can just overfeed them, which would then feed the inverts you have in the tank as well. I surely plan to have more inverts than fish in my tank. Alot more. Im only going to have 4 fish, and the rest are going to be snails/shrimp/crabs/sea stars/urchins and one anemone when my tank matures down the road. Aside from all the corals i plan to stuff my tank with. :p

But also, what i may do, is setup something like a 10G or 20G, that just has all live rock and just inverts, because tbh, marine inverts are just so awesome.
We think alike ... I wanna do basically what you just described.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
is back to save the day!

Haha, well im certainly glad i wasn't the only one thinking about it. It's just my personal opinion and all, but i find a tank with inverts and corals to be so much more interesting than a tank with.. fish. Fish swim.. and rapidly open and close their mouths. So yeah. All with the exception of the really nice mandarin fish, and clownfish since they are pretty fun, i would say that all the other fish are just fish. But inverts do things. They get up and move, and walk, and take care of things in the tank lol.

But regardless, if you do decide to do something like this, be sure to inform me, as i would like to see your plans!
Old 09-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Puffers are fun, triggers grunt, some wrasses sleep in cocoons, erm, that's the few I can think off of the top of my head.....
Sexy shrimp are pretty cool....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com