Aquariums and exterminators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mtlion

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondered if anyone has any experience with having an exterminator over and them being aquarium safe. My wife and I are contemplating hiring an exterminator for periodic pest maintenance (we live in the country and have a huge bug problem) and I wanted to get input on how to hire an exterminator without exterminating my fish! Any advice is appreciated!

My guy just sprays the baseboard areas on the first and basement levels. I ask him to stay away from the tank areas and most importantly I have myself or my wife follow them around to make sure.

Luckily it's usually only late spring (those flipping ants)

Ok, I was going to tell them to stay out of the tank room all together, but that is one of the problem areas. From what I read the first visit they spray inside (baseboards, windows, etc) then they come back every 3 months for an outside only treatment. After the first visit they don't come back inside unless there is an issue. You think I will be alright if I just tell them to avoid the aquarium wall as well as the window closest to the aquarium?

Just read the apartment complex thread, sounds like sealing the tank off may be the way to go, moving the fish or tank is out of the question.

The spray at my house is pure liquid from a pressurized cannister. Sprays about a 4 inch wide spray from about 6 inches from the baseboard. My sump is enclosed in my stand. I don't sweat it, they just don't get within 2-3 feet , either side of the tank.

Awesome, thanks for the great advice as always.

Back
Top Bottom