Aquariums and Jack Daniels don't mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LoveLEE143

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK I am very embarrassed to ask this type of question. I am a huge Steelers fan, and as you know they won the super bowl last Sunday. Well long story short in the very very very drunken celebration some Jack Daniels made it into my aquarium. I don't remember the act happening I was just told of it in the morning. Well I awoke the next morning to find my tank very cloudy and the fish breathing very hard. I got the Diablo the Titan Trigger and the 6" Domino Damsel out and put them in my 44 gallon tank. I was still very drunk at this point I sat down for a second. I awoke about 5 hours later the rest of the fish were dead. I feel so bad right now. The crabs are still alive. It took the huge red hairy leg crab less than a day to eat the four dead fish. He is still alive and doing well.

Now time for my question, is there any way to test to see if the JD is still present in the tank? Do I have to drain all the water out of the tank and start over; can I do some water changes and be alright? I am not sure if these questions have ever been presented or not. I hope not. Thank you in advance for all of you help. I guess I have to change my sig now.

Partial Water Changes and lots of activated carbon, should remove it.. All depends on how much was put in the aquarium..

your skimmer should have removed most if not all of it at this point. I would just for good measure as tim recommended perform a water change of fairly large proportions. Something along the lines of 30-40% and then follow that up with another large water change a week or so later.

I am not sure how much but I am sure it was not alot not more than 1 or 2 shots. The skimmer has filled with slug twice in the past week. I had just changed the active carbon the day before. I am so embarassed, thaks for all of your help. If i do a water test and everything shows fine in a week or so should I buy a damsel just to make sure. I don't want to loose either of the two remaining, and especially not Diablo. As it took me two years to find him.

The problem is I don't know how well the standard test kids will detect if there are water quality issues as a result of the JD being added.

Lets keep to the part about the aquarium and the fish please. If you want to talk about the party, we can move this to the lounge.

I am assuming somebody else did this.The exact same thing has happened to me...people don't understand how much time ,effort and care you put into these tanks, for some it's a big joke. I am always rescuing drinks off my tank when we have people over....they treat it like a bar.

1. When you say that a test kit might not find it. Do you mean that the normal home test kit or any test kit.

2. Unfortunately it was me. I had a drink in my hand and the lid was open. It had been left open after I feed them. I tripped over something while celebrating and OOPS.

Back
Top Bottom