Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you ask me I think your scape looks great! Not to much and not to little. The "keeping rocks off the sand" thing might have been from me in another thread lol but what that is meaning is if possible keep your actual scape footprint to a minimum to allow better flow across the sand leading to less debris build up. Really there is no RIGHT way to do it just tips and tricks that some will work for you while others won't. As convict said this is in your home and you will be looking at it everyday so even if we hate it as long as you love it that's all the truelly matters

Old 10-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #12
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I like the scape! It reminds me of my 55. I'd assume you have your rocks against the back glass like I do, since you said you have trouble keeping algae off the back glass. Same issue here. That is why it is painted black! Doesn't show up as much. Since painting the back, I haven't scraped the algae off at all and left it for my algae blenny.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I tried to only put a couple of rocks against the back glass. And made tunnels and caves. My sailfin tang loves that. One more question. I am tired of my hermits eating all the snails. If you had your choice between the two, which would you have?
Old 10-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsrks
I tried to only put a couple of rocks against the back glass. And made tunnels and caves. My sailfin tang loves that. One more question. I am tired of my hermits eating all the snails. If you had your choice between the two, which would you have?
If I had to choose I would go with hermits over snails.. they might not be able to clean the glass but I feel they will eat a larger variety of things and quicker at that. My white hermit crab does an amazing job stirring my sand while my blues and reds are constantly cleaning my rocks.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks. I was wondering which would do a better job of cleanup.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I must say though I haven't had a problem with my hermits eating my snails. I haven't re stocked my snails in 9 months with only a few losses (some of which my fault lol). As long as you provide larger shells for them to move into and don't stock to many to the point that there's not enough food except snails then you'll be fine.

Edit* the only ones I've witnessed get eaten have been ones that either get stuck in a crack or can't turn themselves back over.

Tags
api, aquascaping, cap

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com