Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Aquascaping

Is there a proper way to aquascape? Or is it just your personal preference?

Old 10-16-2012, 02:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol whatever you like is the proper way!

Old 10-16-2012, 02:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good. I heard some people say that you should keep as much rock off the sand you can.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What do you mean by that? I mean there are a few good tips... But as far as the design goes its all up to you. For example i would add half of my sand, then fill the tank with water, add my rocks and scape them, and then add the other half of sand slowly so the water doesnt get too cloudy. This keeps the rock stable.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Some people are a little too opinionated about others' tanks. Ignore them!! Do what you think looks good. That being said, if you post a pic and ask our opinion, I WILL give mine too!! Lol.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

One by one set the live rock in locked positions off the glass. Try to expose as much of the live rock as u can. Try to create caves that face the front of the aquarium so you can see the future shy guy
Old 10-16-2012, 02:13 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl
Some people are a little too opinionated about others' tanks. Ignore them!! Do what you think looks good. That being said, if you post a pic and ask our opinion, I WILL give mine too!! Lol.
BTW, I wasn't referring to anyone who has posted on this thread!!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is what my 75 gallon looks like. I think there is too much rock in it. Always have a red algae problem with it. I try to keep it off the back glass as much as i can Problem is that almost every piece has a coral on it. I am setting up a 140 gallon tank that I would like to be a FOWLR for semi aggressive fish and that are not reef safe. I only ordered 50 lbs of LR. What do y'all think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3365997655.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	125284   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4092407066.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	125285  

Old 10-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsrks
This is what my 75 gallon looks like. I think there is too much rock in it. Always have a red algae problem with it. I try to keep it off the back glass as much as i can Problem is that almost every piece has a coral on it. I am setting up a 140 gallon tank that I would like to be a FOWLR for semi aggressive fish and that are not reef safe. I only ordered 50 lbs of LR. What do y'all think?
I like it, looks natural. As far as proper way? I have to say this... I think there ARE certain things to follow. I mean don't dump a bunch of rocks in a tank and call it day, place them properly as to make sure they will not fall and crack your tank or even worse. Also you want to give your fish some free swimming room so don't pack the tank to the point where they have no where to go.

Another note, add some thruways, tunnels etc, fish like to swim through and around things. Give them a place to hide if they feel threatened or uneasy. I guess these are my opinions only... Maybe?

As far as taste:

Colorful rocks,neon plants,sponge bob theme, Legos, whatever... That's all up to you, you have to stare at it I don't, as far as people being to opinionated, that very well may be BUT I have to say this.

You post a picture of your tank and all its glory, you ask total strangers on a fish forum what they think, your going to get opinions of all kinds. Some harsher then others. I don't think it's unfair if someone doesn't like a scape.

Don't ask of you don't wanna the truth.

Just my 2 cents.

The Con.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had a freshwater tank for years then got this tank in a barter situation knowing absolutely nothing about reef tanks. In the process I killed many fish and corals. Although I know a lot now I still have a lot to learn. Thank goodness for newyorksteelo. His videos are very detailed and I been learning a lot from him. I am setting up a 140 gallon and I want to do it right. Last night I watched his video on deep sand beds. The picture of the 75 gallon looks like it has all crushed coral and not deep enough. I have to figure out how to change it to sand without upsetting everything and having a nitrate spike.

Tags
api, aquascaping, cap

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com