Aquascaping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do you mean by that? I mean there are a few good tips... But as far as the design goes its all up to you. For example i would add half of my sand, then fill the tank with water, add my rocks and scape them, and then add the other half of sand slowly so the water doesnt get too cloudy. This keeps the rock stable.

Some people are a little too opinionated about others' tanks. Ignore them!! Do what you think looks good. That being said, if you post a pic and ask our opinion, I WILL give mine too!! Lol.

One by one set the live rock in locked positions off the glass. Try to expose as much of the live rock as u can. Try to create caves that face the front of the aquarium so you can see the future shy guy

Beengirl said:
Some people are a little too opinionated about others' tanks. Ignore them!! Do what you think looks good. That being said, if you post a pic and ask our opinion, I WILL give mine too!! Lol.

BTW, I wasn't referring to anyone who has posted on this thread!! :)

This is what my 75 gallon looks like. I think there is too much rock in it. Always have a red algae problem with it. I try to keep it off the back glass as much as i can Problem is that almost every piece has a coral on it. I am setting up a 140 gallon tank that I would like to be a FOWLR for semi aggressive fish and that are not reef safe. I only ordered 50 lbs of LR. What do y'all think?

Attachments

• image-3365997655.jpg
    image-3365997655.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 86
  • image-4092407066.jpg
    image-4092407066.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 105
dlsrks said:
This is what my 75 gallon looks like. I think there is too much rock in it. Always have a red algae problem with it. I try to keep it off the back glass as much as i can Problem is that almost every piece has a coral on it. I am setting up a 140 gallon tank that I would like to be a FOWLR for semi aggressive fish and that are not reef safe. I only ordered 50 lbs of LR. What do y'all think?

I like it, looks natural. As far as proper way? I have to say this... I think there ARE certain things to follow. I mean don't dump a bunch of rocks in a tank and call it day, place them properly as to make sure they will not fall and crack your tank or even worse. Also you want to give your fish some free swimming room so don't pack the tank to the point where they have no where to go.

Another note, add some thruways, tunnels etc, fish like to swim through and around things. Give them a place to hide if they feel threatened or uneasy. I guess these are my opinions only... Maybe?

As far as taste:

Colorful rocks,neon plants,sponge bob theme, Legos, whatever... That's all up to you, you have to stare at it I don't, as far as people being to opinionated, that very well may be BUT I have to say this.

You post a picture of your tank and all its glory, you ask total strangers on a fish forum what they think, your going to get opinions of all kinds. Some harsher then others. I don't think it's unfair if someone doesn't like a scape.

Don't ask of you don't wanna the truth.

Just my 2 cents.

The Con.

I had a freshwater tank for years then got this tank in a barter situation knowing absolutely nothing about reef tanks. In the process I killed many fish and corals. Although I know a lot now I still have a lot to learn. Thank goodness for newyorksteelo. His videos are very detailed and I been learning a lot from him. I am setting up a 140 gallon and I want to do it right. Last night I watched his video on deep sand beds. The picture of the 75 gallon looks like it has all crushed coral and not deep enough. I have to figure out how to change it to sand without upsetting everything and having a nitrate spike.

If you ask me I think your scape looks great! Not to much and not to little. The "keeping rocks off the sand" thing might have been from me in another thread lol but what that is meaning is if possible keep your actual scape footprint to a minimum to allow better flow across the sand leading to less debris build up. Really there is no RIGHT way to do it just tips and tricks that some will work for you while others won't. As convict said this is in your home and you will be looking at it everyday so even if we hate it as long as you love it that's all the truelly matters :)

I like the scape! It reminds me of my 55. I'd assume you have your rocks against the back glass like I do, since you said you have trouble keeping algae off the back glass. Same issue here. That is why it is painted black! Doesn't show up as much. Since painting the back, I haven't scraped the algae off at all and left it for my algae blenny.

I tried to only put a couple of rocks against the back glass. And made tunnels and caves. My sailfin tang loves that. One more question. I am tired of my hermits eating all the snails. If you had your choice between the two, which would you have?

dlsrks said:
I tried to only put a couple of rocks against the back glass. And made tunnels and caves. My sailfin tang loves that. One more question. I am tired of my hermits eating all the snails. If you had your choice between the two, which would you have?

If I had to choose I would go with hermits over snails.. they might not be able to clean the glass but I feel they will eat a larger variety of things and quicker at that. My white hermit crab does an amazing job stirring my sand while my blues and reds are constantly cleaning my rocks.

I must say though I haven't had a problem with my hermits eating my snails. I haven't re stocked my snails in 9 months with only a few losses (some of which my fault lol). As long as you provide larger shells for them to move into and don't stock to many to the point that there's not enough food except snails then you'll be fine.

Edit* the only ones I've witnessed get eaten have been ones that either get stuck in a crack or can't turn themselves back over.

Back
Top Bottom