aquascaping a 1&1/2 yr old tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STP wellsophyllia

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys! I have some really huge question that i want lots of imput and opinions on! I have had my 90 gal reef tank (120 gal system) running for about 1.5 years now and im starting to realize that i am wasting lots and lots of space with a mediocre rock setup and oversized rocks. I have established coral that have grown and prospered where they are but its starting to get crowded. My setup is very steep and is limited to high light and super high flow. I dont have room for sand loving creatures and i cant even see half of the tank because the rock setup is basically filling the tank front to back. I want to completely rip it apart and get new, flat rock and more space freindly rock to get more design with shelving and things. I am really worried though that if i do this i will interrupt the stability of the tank, disrupt the ecosystem and inevitably kill coral and fish. Thanks for the help!

I'd recommend doing it gradually. Obviously put in only cured live rock and maybe replace a current big piece with a lot of smaller pieces and wait a month and then do it over with another big piece and so on. Also, do you have a refugium? You could help balance the loss of beneficial bacteria by stocking live rock down in the refugium a month or so before you make changes to the the display tank.,

Also, remember that big changes can stress your fish out. So have a plan as you are rescaping your tank. I like to do changes in under 15 or so minutes at a time.

If this hobby has taught me anything it is that patience is key. This should not be a weekend overhaul, but rather a gradual change.

Just some thoughts

This is a crappy picture but this is after my big aquascaping project yesterday. Ill have a better picture up tonightthat shows depth and stuff

ForumRunner_20130508_074946.jpg

The picture really doesnt do it justice because the new setup is alot more open and has an awesome shelfing tiered took. I love it. Now im comfortable with buying a small tang for this system because there is alot more open swimming space and plenty of hiding spots

I think it looks good both ways, but you see up close, I understand. I looked at my tank yesterday and was thinking it looks pretty good but... Then my wife swung by the office and says, "Your tank is very aesthetically pleasing!" Yeah she talks like that.

Hey everyone! I know that this thread is pretty much dead but i figured id try to liven things up. Post your aquascapes here! Heres my recent redo for this year!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401162637.250089.jpg

The big colt isnt going to be here for much longer im fragging it up and selling it so its going to have a "gorge" look

asyjume6.jpg

Night shot lol

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom