Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy13 View Post
You might be able to attach it to the back wall with one of these eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices I use them for several types of corals including toadstools. To anchor the corals down there is an epoxy type stick that works well OCEANS WONDERS PURPLE CORALLINE REEF SAFE EPOXY | eBay

Joy, those are the most awesome frag plugs! i am gonna have to get some of those.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:15 PM   #12
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Well, I would start with the biggest rocks you have. Get those on the bottom and start from there. Don't be affraid to lean rocks against the back wall of your tank, could help you out with different angles for pleasing look. After that, get creative! I've rearranged my tank three times and am now finally happy with it. I'll be honest, when I first opened up my shipment of LR and saw the one piece that was as big as my chest...yeah, I had no clue what to do with it. Just take a step back and imagine what it is that you want.

Fiji rock isn't the most flat rock in the world, which is what you seem to be looking for. If that is what you want, why not chisel away at a piece of LR to get the shape you want? If that isn't what you are looking for, have you looked at caribean LR? It has more of a "ledge" look that you seem to be looking for. Easy to check some out at my tank showcase if you want.

Summary - get creative and just start stacking. Can't know what you can and can't do until you try it out.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:28 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1514046412.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	65678

This is my aquascape for my 55. Like they said above keep it creative. I follow the golden ratio to the best of my ability. Though I would never lean my rock against my back wall. I've noticed that it creates dead spots even with circ pumps.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:31 PM   #14
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxStLxx View Post
Attachment 65678
Though I would never lean my rock against my back wall. I've noticed that it creates dead spots even with circ pumps.
It can, but with the proper setup this won't happen. If it does and you like the setup, add another power head! I might be a tad jaded with my thoughts on leaning LR, but I built my setup all from caribbean LR and is all quite flat and long. I have 3 pieces of Fiji and used it as a base to build my caves and overhangs.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:03 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I also use the back glass for leaning rock, you just need to make sure its completely 100% stable. You wont be scraping the back glass anyways so might as well use it.

I have 2 powerheads currently and have no dead spots anywhere, it's just a matter of adjusting them for maximum circulation.

Tags
api, aquascaping, cap

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com