Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Aquascaping advice

OK so, tank is doing well, couple corals in, few zoanthids on the way from reefs2go etc.

So the question is this: I reworked my aquascaping so that I can now put things up high (the zoas I'd assume), or down low, or on the substrate (where I have an open brain right now)...

it seems that the way I have it set up there's going to be a huge middle section with just rocks showing through - any suggestions for how to be able to add corals there? For example, could I glue mushrooms to the side of the rocks, or would that flip em out? Basically I want there to be a "middle" section to the tank, not just a top and a bottom....
Thanks, in advance,

caulastrea, green star polyps, palythoa, zoas
bighabeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can we get some pics so we know what your working with? And glue doesn't really affect corals. I they don't like where they're at they'll move or die. Like my Ricordia mushroom didn't like where I glued it so it unglued itself and floated around to multiple parts of rock till it found a spot it liked then rooted itself down. Zoas on the other hand will do one of 2 things. They'll either up root and float around or they'll melt and die. So if you see one of the 2 don't be alarmed.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I glue my frags to small rock rubble and then place those in spots that don't have many corals or options for corals. But yep, a picture would be great to see exactly what you mean.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'll take some close ups this evening, but here's what I have on-hand. The rock kinda resting on the top on the right has been relocated to the substrate to create a lower level platform for stuffs...
Old 12-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Are you trying to go for a wall, caves or pillar affect or a mixture?
Old 12-14-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not entirely sure honestly - I definitely need some caves down low to keep the goby happy...

Its the three big rocks on the bottom (the one behind the brain, and the two next to it) that I'm most concerned about - there's not a lot of flat surface area onto which I can put things, and I don't think I can "rest" things on there: it would need to be anchored/glued somehow...I'm thinking matte type mushrooms for that area (like the flat green ones with the filaments on em) or possibly some ricordea. I definitely want to get a toadstool in there someplace as well.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Toadstools like high light med-hi flow.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxStLxx View Post
Toadstools like high light med-hi flow.
Yep, I know that part of it, just trying to figure out how to fit it in there, potentially with its base at the "mid" range of my tank - I have a power head that would just be ruffling the top of it...just not sure how to attach the durn thing...I mean, will it know on its own to kinda bend up towards the light?
Old 12-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

You might be able to attach it to the back wall with one of these eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices I use them for several types of corals including toadstools. To anchor the corals down there is an epoxy type stick that works well OCEANS WONDERS PURPLE CORALLINE REEF SAFE EPOXY | eBay
Old 12-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'll take a pic of my dry aquascape in my 55 tonight and see if that gives u any ideas.

Tags
api, aquascaping, cap

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com