Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Aquascaping question....

What's better.... Put your rocks on bottom of the tank (before sand)? or put them on top of the SB?

Why I'm asking... I'd like to put them in before the sand because currently mine are on top of the sand and as time has gone by the are shifting. I'm hoping its safe to put the directly on the glass not the SB to prevent this.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You should add the rock then add the sand for that exact reason. It will shift and possibly fall. Also if add any digging fish they will cause problems too.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingsfishy View Post
You should add the rock then add the sand for that exact reason. It will shift and possibly fall. Also if add any digging fish they will cause problems too.
Exactly my problem! So glad I can do it this way!
Old 07-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I put this white grate on the glass then the rock then the live sand. Helps protect the glass and I put enough sand in that if something wants to dig holes it shouldn't be a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2257180836.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	186107  
Old 07-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 on the egg crates best way to do it is cycle it on the egg crate and then add sand after the cycle this will make it much easier to remove the organic waste unless you are using live sand
Old 07-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineSalt View Post
I put this white grate on the glass then the rock then the live sand. Helps protect the glass and I put enough sand in that if something wants to dig holes it shouldn't be a problem.
Awesome idea!!!! How well does sand keep like this? Is siphoning easy to get each hole?
Old 07-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquandrew View Post
+1 on the egg crates best way to do it is cycle it on the egg crate and then add sand after the cycle this will make it much easier to remove the organic waste unless you are using live sand
I will have live sand, the rocks are hand made & being cycled now! The guy I bought my first tank from us making them and he cycles them for months!
Old 07-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I saw a squirrel in my backyard today. To my understanding it was a grey eared squirrel. Apprx. 1.4 feet in length. On a serious note i would live to see a red tree squirrel or perhaps a ground squirrel of sorts at some point. I threw a peanut or two at it. Or eight. But it did not bite down on my nuts; only ran away. Any thoughts on what to do????thanks in advance.
Ok that's a bit strange and off topic wrong forum?.... Bird food will solve your problem! I hate them! Come trap some from my backyard so they stop eating my bird food!
Old 07-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Personally, I would lay the eggcrate down on the bottom of the tank and then add the sand. The rocks can go in last. Doing it this way will prevent the rocks from being absolutely covered in sand. Just make sure to push the rocks down until they hit the eggcrate and you will be fine. That is exactly what I did with my cichlid tank and despite their rearranging of my entire sand bed there hasn't been a single issue with any of the rocks shifting. The 55g tank has 75 lbs of rock.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Personally, I would lay the eggcrate down on the bottom of the tank and then add the sand. The rocks can go in last. Doing it this way will prevent the rocks from being absolutely covered in sand. Just make sure to push the rocks down until they hit the eggcrate and you will be fine. That is exactly what I did with my cichlid tank and despite their rearranging of my entire sand bed there hasn't been a single issue with any of the rocks shifting. The 55g tank has 75 lbs of rock.
But I feel any sand sifting/digging fish I put it will move the sand under the rocks. That's why I'm wondering about rocks before sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com