Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Sgc1107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: TN by way of NH
Posts: 406
Aquascaping question....

What's better.... Put your rocks on bottom of the tank (before sand)? or put them on top of the SB?

Why I'm asking... I'd like to put them in before the sand because currently mine are on top of the sand and as time has gone by the are shifting. I'm hoping its safe to put the directly on the glass not the SB to prevent this.
__________________

__________________
Sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kenner, louisiana
Posts: 593
You should add the rock then add the sand for that exact reason. It will shift and possibly fall. Also if add any digging fish they will cause problems too.
__________________

__________________
somethingsfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Sgc1107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: TN by way of NH
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingsfishy View Post
You should add the rock then add the sand for that exact reason. It will shift and possibly fall. Also if add any digging fish they will cause problems too.
Exactly my problem! So glad I can do it this way!
__________________
Sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 112
I put this white grate on the glass then the rock then the live sand. Helps protect the glass and I put enough sand in that if something wants to dig holes it shouldn't be a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2257180836.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	186107  
__________________
MaineSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
aquandrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: waconia minnesota
Posts: 1,803
+1 on the egg crates best way to do it is cycle it on the egg crate and then add sand after the cycle this will make it much easier to remove the organic waste unless you are using live sand
__________________
aquandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Sgc1107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: TN by way of NH
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineSalt View Post
I put this white grate on the glass then the rock then the live sand. Helps protect the glass and I put enough sand in that if something wants to dig holes it shouldn't be a problem.
Awesome idea!!!! How well does sand keep like this? Is siphoning easy to get each hole?
__________________
Sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Sgc1107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: TN by way of NH
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquandrew View Post
+1 on the egg crates best way to do it is cycle it on the egg crate and then add sand after the cycle this will make it much easier to remove the organic waste unless you are using live sand
I will have live sand, the rocks are hand made & being cycled now! The guy I bought my first tank from us making them and he cycles them for months!
__________________
Sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Sgc1107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: TN by way of NH
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I saw a squirrel in my backyard today. To my understanding it was a grey eared squirrel. Apprx. 1.4 feet in length. On a serious note i would live to see a red tree squirrel or perhaps a ground squirrel of sorts at some point. I threw a peanut or two at it. Or eight. But it did not bite down on my nuts; only ran away. Any thoughts on what to do????thanks in advance.
Ok that's a bit strange and off topic wrong forum?.... Bird food will solve your problem! I hate them! Come trap some from my backyard so they stop eating my bird food!
__________________
Sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Personally, I would lay the eggcrate down on the bottom of the tank and then add the sand. The rocks can go in last. Doing it this way will prevent the rocks from being absolutely covered in sand. Just make sure to push the rocks down until they hit the eggcrate and you will be fine. That is exactly what I did with my cichlid tank and despite their rearranging of my entire sand bed there hasn't been a single issue with any of the rocks shifting. The 55g tank has 75 lbs of rock.
__________________
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Sgc1107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: TN by way of NH
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Personally, I would lay the eggcrate down on the bottom of the tank and then add the sand. The rocks can go in last. Doing it this way will prevent the rocks from being absolutely covered in sand. Just make sure to push the rocks down until they hit the eggcrate and you will be fine. That is exactly what I did with my cichlid tank and despite their rearranging of my entire sand bed there hasn't been a single issue with any of the rocks shifting. The 55g tank has 75 lbs of rock.
But I feel any sand sifting/digging fish I put it will move the sand under the rocks. That's why I'm wondering about rocks before sand
__________________

__________________
Sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.