Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-03-2004, 01:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok I bought the Odyssea 24" PC for $30, the shipping is high at $13+. I'll let you all know how the light is.
A guy I know that had the Jebo 48" lights and he said they were fine and worked well for the price.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 09:11 PM   #12

Actually $13 is about right. UPS has been upping there rates since gas went up.

Old 12-03-2004, 09:45 PM   #13

They sell JEBO equipment. It is the cheapest light on the market. It is all made in china and if something goes wrong you have to buy a new one.

Remember the frustration of low quality will make the memory of low price disapear!
Old 12-04-2004, 01:08 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sailfin
I have the JEBO 48" Power Compact and am having good luck with it. I know the quality is not like Corallife or JBJ, but for the price it is a good light.
Someone has to make cheap lights so us money restricted people can still enjoy the Saltwater Hobby.
CPR BakPak2 Skimmer
Magnum 350 Canister Filter
Hydor ETH In-Line Heater 300 watt
------------------------------
1-Percula Clown, 1-Sebae Clown, 2-Spotted Cardinal, 1-Firefish, 1-Purple Firefish
1-Algae Blenny, 2 Green Chromis
75-Nassarius Snails, ?-Turbo Snails
?-Dwarf Hermit Crabs, 1-Purple Tip Anemome
Pumping Xenia, Green Button Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Clove Polyps, Red, Green, Blue Mushrooms, Leather Mushroom
Yellow Brain Coral
----------------------------------------
40lbs Live Rock
20lbs Home-made Live Rock
Sailfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 07:52 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

They are selling Odyssea now also.
I had a corallife for just over a year and the ballast went and I could not find a replacement ballast on the net. So I figured I would give the Odyssea a try.
they say it has an aluminum housing external ballast bulb and reflector with free legs. Its worth a shot.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 08:50 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just looked at their 48 inch pc light for 79.99. It says it comes with a free UV STERILIER 9W. What is that? i am on a very tight budget so i am considering 2 of them for my 75 gallon. Any Sugestions?
Old 12-04-2004, 09:12 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

For people really struggling for the money to put together a reef tank, I would say avoid these fixtures. Saving money on a fixture with a high failure rate is not going to help your cause. What will you do if the fixture dies? You can not just let the tank go without proper lighting for a few weeks as you save more money. You would be really screwed because you bought a PC fixture with no really warranty, and now you have to buy ANOTHER fixture.

If someone wants to try these and would not be to set back if they blow up, I say go for it.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 09:27 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I dont know much about lighting, but what is the worst that could happen to the light? I Think that i will go for it because my moms good friend's husband is an electrican who specializes in lighting. I am perty sure he has built a CF fixture before and could probly fix or guide me in fixing the light. He would build me one but the parts are expensive where he gets them. I just have lr in my tank and dont plan on anything else for a while. I am going to do more recherch before i buy. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:02 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good question. Aside from the fixture itself, there are two pricey areas in a PC fixture, the ballasts and the bulbs. The rest is pretty much just a reflector, wiring, end caps, and swithes. Right from the start, the bulbs in the Jebo fixtures are likely not as good as bulbs from other companies. X watts of power being used by a bulb does not really mean that the bulb puts out as much light, or a high a quality of light as one from another company. I have read in a few places where people needed to replace a Jebo bulb right out the box. The new bulb(s) they stick in were much brighter than the remaining bulbs in the fixture at the same color temp. So right from the start, you are not getting the same light intensity as you could have.

Now, the really expensive part is the ballast. Replacement ballasts for fixtures are quite expensive. Sometimes when a ballast goes, it can be repaired, but other times they burn a component in which case you would not want to try repairing it. The cost of a Jebo fixture and a new ballast would be higher than just buying a better fixture to begin with. That is presuming you find a replacement ballast that would easily fit in the fixture anyway.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 10:34 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sailfin
In my experience with the JEBO PC has been great. I have not had to replace the bulbs for any reason. With what I have in my tank the light is great. If you are looking to buy one of these lights, I feel the best way is to talk to actual people (more than 1) that have the light.
If you have the money for a high quality light I would say go for it. But if not, do some serious research on it before you spend money.

CPR BakPak2 Skimmer
Magnum 350 Canister Filter
Hydor ETH In-Line Heater 300 watt
------------------------------
1-Percula Clown, 1-Sebae Clown, 2-Spotted Cardinal, 1-Firefish, 1-Purple Firefish
1-Algae Blenny, 2 Green Chromis
75-Nassarius Snails, ?-Turbo Snails
?-Dwarf Hermit Crabs, 1-Purple Tip Anemome
Pumping Xenia, Green Button Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Clove Polyps, Red, Green, Blue Mushrooms, Leather Mushroom
Yellow Brain Coral
----------------------------------------
40lbs Live Rock
20lbs Home-made Live Rock
Sailfin is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com