Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-29-2004, 02:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Aquatraders

Has anyone purchased anything from this site www.aquatraders.com ? They have some amazing prices on PC lighting. They have 48" 220W PC lighting for $59.90 including bulbs!!! It seems almost too good to be true . . . but it also seems to good to pass up. If you have any experience with them, please let me know. If not, I may just have to be the guinea pig!!

Old 11-29-2004, 02:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Those prices do seem ususually low...

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 02:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

id say try it and see, its cheap so might as well, then you can let the rest of us know...hows prices on other products, really low like that, or abotu the same as other sites, thats how i usually judge
Old 11-29-2004, 02:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

All of their prices seem extremely low. It looks like they are trying to be a wholesaler of small or new products. I'm a little hesitant to buy, but am also extremely curious.

If I don't hear of anything in the next day or two, I'll probably try it out and let you know.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This store is located around my area in San Bruno, CA. used to be named Fish99. I've only read post about them not having good husbandry on live stock. Lot's of negatives.

Here is a link on a post about them http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=467667
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 06:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Something just does not seem right about this place.

Example... Look under skimmers. They sell an "ODYSSEA PRO" skimmer which looks exactly like the CPR bak pak for just $49.00.

There prices on PC ligthing are insane. They look like decent fixtures.

Shipping is a bit high... almost $20 for the 48" PC mentioned above. PayPal payment only.

Side Note... the PC is made by Jebo who appears to have went out of business...
Old 11-29-2004, 06:18 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I hope someone does check them out, this is crazy pricing.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Did some searching... turns out many people are not to happy with these power compacts... and with Aquatraders. I guess it's "Buyer Beware".

Quick quote from another forum

Quote:
I recently picked up a pair of the 24" Jebo compact fluorescent lights - 110W for $45 was hard to resist. It turns out, not susprisingly, that they are put together very poorly. I was going to say that it's still probably a cheap way to add some light to your aquarium, except today neither of my fixtures switched on - just a little flickering and then the bulbs died. I'm assuming a faulty ballast. Aquatraders customer service also blows - when I called them before ordering, they told me that the fixtures had end caps, and assured me that they came with 2 10000K bulbs. When they arrived I found only one 10000K bulb and a "blue" bulb, and the bulbs were attached with bare wires - no endcaps. When I called to complain, they took down my info and then put me on hold for about half an hour, at which point I gave up and hung up.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:16 PM   #9

I don't know anything about the quality of the products. Just making a guess at the business model. They seem like a closeout/liquidator type of operation. Possibly they bought the inventory from Jebo if/when they went out of business.

As for the skimmer, they may be purchasing returns/defects from CPR, with the terms being they can't use the CPR name. I notice that the skimmer doesn't seem to include the powerhead.

This is all merely speculation.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:26 PM   #10

ive actualy have been to the store and yea their prices are really low but its really cheaply made and seeing how they used the skimmers which are almost always overflowing on their own holding tanks that are held up by cinderblocks and when purchasing fishes u cant even see them eat first which really blows so when or if u ever buy fish from there its a really big risk. so i would really suggest not buying from them unless u are willing to pay for the risk

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com