aquatraders.com - 72" DE MH Unit - YES OR NO?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I know someone on here just bought a fixture from them, and I seriously considere one as well. The price is definately right, but think about the fact that you have three types of lights on there and only one power cord. Are you gonna turn the individual lights on manually every day and night? Can't put them on a timer cuz there's only one cord is my point.

Unless, of course, you're into rewiring which I am not. So, I passed up on it. Maybe someone who's bought this will chime in too.

i've been waiting for their 36 inch unit to be in stock for the last 2 months. definately worth a try. I think its worth the try of rewiring.

yeah i tried ordering a pc from them about two weeks ago there customer service is horrrrrible there number is useless its some chinese guy say " i think it better if u email" ill never attempt them again and if u search hard enough you can get a comprable model for just a little more but good luck if you go with it

lando bought from them and was happy with the lights but I have no idea what he thought of the service. You might also want to PM him.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?p=524490&highlight=#524490

Unfortunately I bought my PC from a lfs before finding this site and could have gotten MH for the same price (I was in a hurry) :roll:

Has anyone had a good experience with this site???

I’m thinking of upgrading to MH and really dread DIY but also don’t want to drop $500+

So far so good with the unit. I PMed you with the details. I say go for it.

One Chinese guy giving customer service to everybody. That is hilarious. He probably puts the lights together as well and doesn't have time to connect two more plus. LOL

Must be the Chinese guys wife that I just talked to over at bigalsonline.com when I placed my order over the phone. I had to have her repeat herself like 3 times. I just ask myself why??

pluk1992 said:
yeah i tried ordering a pc from them about two weeks ago there customer service is horrrrrible there number is useless its some chinese guy say " i think it better if u email" ill never attempt them again

Now that is damn funny. I also was given the firedrill when I tried to get a hold of them last week with questions I had with my order. I wasn't too impressed with the fact I only have the two cords for three lights, but knew that when I bought it so can't really complain as I was too seduced by the price. It's something I underestimated how necessary it was - I would much rather have everything set on a timer than have to manually configure everything.

The customer service is completely brutal, I don't care if they hand MH systems out for free next time....I'll take a pass. I had a problem with my fixture, in that the LEDs and one of the cf lights wasn't working. Specifically, I had an electrician friend of mine crack it open and he wasn't too impressed with the Odyssea set up at all . Not only was it badly put together, but wasn't even close to safety standards (Canadian) considering the amount of power it was using. One of the ballasts isn't working at all and I'll have to replace it. When I informed Aquatraders about this they just refered to their online policy, which states that all return shipments are MY COST to resend, upon which they may or may not reimburse me for the effort...and also may or may not fix my problem. Thanks for standing behind your products, guys! Read the fine print there, they make sure that they aren't obligated to do anything other than take your money. Going to a local electrician and forking over the money for him to fix it is much, much cheaper and faster for me anyway.

Over all, I have to confess that I was too greedy when I saw that price and heard that someone had success with the purchase. I will not only steer clear of any Odyssea products again, but wouldn't touch Aquatraders with a ten foot pole attached to another ten foot pole. You might find you get lucky and can tell a different story, but by the looks of it on here you are comparing a sure thing with a lottery ticket. Just keep your fingers crossed that if you do make a purchase here that you'll never have to contact the site again.

On a seperate note...is it possible to rewire the system and get a seperate cord for the LEDs? I would love to have them set up independantly than the cfs or MHs. Would an electrician be the best person to talk to about that?

My biggest reservation before buying thi unit was the horror stories I have heard about thier customer service. I actually called them twice before placing the order online because I have some questions on the unit. I was able to get ahold of someone right away both times and they were more then helpful. After placing the order, it was out of stock. Aquatraders notified me via email and asked me if I want to cancel and re-order or just wait and have the order filled when they got new lights in. I chose to wait and within a week they emailed that the new units were in and it had been shipped. Thankfully it arrived in perfect shape so I have not needed to act on the warrenty. Maybe I was just lucky.

I ordered some moonlights from them last week. They are suppose to be here Monday. I guess I will see for myself. :?

Brenden said:
I ordered some moonlights from them last week. They are suppose to be here Monday. I guess I will see for myself. :?

Brenden, you ever get your moonlights? how do you like them? thinking of ordering.

Back
Top Bottom