Aquavitro products: Thoughts on balance and 8.4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Be sure you have maximized the gas exchange at the surface. No top, use mesh. If you have a buildup of detritus after a few months the tank will tend to go acidic. Be sure your siphoning out as much detritus as you can. Other than that, the final Ph number doesn't mean as much as how much fluctuation there is.

I would have somebody double check your numbers.

I agree with the above post. i was running my reef at about 7.8 and while it was low it was very stable. Stability is always more important. Chasing ph can be a never ending battle.

I dosed Ca. I have Hanna checkers for both Ca and Alk. I ordered a Red Sea Ca test kit as a hedge.

But why is that not possible? I'm pretty sure about the Alk because I tested then dosed baking soda and tested again. I won't argue the Ca because of what I learned about Hanna

I have no top and a PH that points to the surface plus an airline from the outside to my skimmer. I think there is a buildup of detritus under my 2" of sand. I stir it up when I do water changes and tried to vacuum it but that didn't work so well.

I suggest the following, start with mg levels, be sure it's about 1350ppm. Then don't worry so much about calcium, concentrate on alkalinity and get it around 9-10 dKh. Use your baking soda, but you can bake it first and turn it into calcium carbonate (soda ash) as that doesn't lower ph as much when dosed. It is also more effective at boosting alkalinity. If you don't mind a temporary ph reduction use baking soda.

I would then use a high calcium reef salt and only dose calcium if testing shows it's too low. I prefer using old school kalkwasser for calcium dosing as I have solid evidence hard corals love the stuff.

Last edited:
I dosed Ca. I have Hanna checkers for both Ca and Alk. I ordered a Red Sea Ca test kit as a hedge.

But why is that not possible? I'm pretty sure about the Alk because I tested then dosed baking soda and tested again. I won't argue the Ca because of what I learned about Hanna

I have no top and a PH that points to the surface plus an airline from the outside to my skimmer. I think there is a buildup of detritus under my 2" of sand. I stir it up when I do water changes and tried to vacuum it but that didn't work so well.

Why worry about a pH of 7.85 when the rests are fine? Like Carey says as long as pH is stable it should be okay. Your dosing is the reason why you have such parameter readings. If your salt is Reef Crystal all you need is a regular pwc. I agree with Greg about raising alk with baking soda and not dose Cal. The important thing to remember is that there is reverse proportion in Alk and Cal while direct proportion with Alk and pH. Meaning the higher the Alk the higher your pH will be. By increasing Alk your Cal will reduce slightly without dosing and you just monitor it.

I suggest the following, start with mg levels, be sure it's about 1350ppm. Then don't worry so much about calcium, concentrate on alkalinity and get it around 9-10 dKh. Use your baking soda, but you can bake it first and turn it into calcium carbonate (soda ash) as that doesn't lower ph as much when dosed. It is also more effective at boosting alkalinity. If you don't mind a temporary ph reduction use baking soda.

I would then use a high calcium reef salt and only dose calcium if testing shows it's too low. I prefer using old school kalkwasser for calcium dosing as I have solid evidence hard corals love the stuff.

What's the best MG kit in your opinion

I did bake at 300 for an hour before using the baking soda BTW. And I have been using kalk for Ca dosing. But not in my top off. I have a tunze osamolator and don't want to ruin the pump. Should I not worry about that since the pump is a cheap replacement?

Is IO reef the best salt Or should I try something else?

I like saliferts magnesium test, very easy to do imo.

Kalkwasser should not be used to dose, it should only be used to maintain. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

If you need to raise calcium significantly, which I would do with a better salt mix, or you can do it dosing calcium, then yes. Kalkwasser is better at maintaing cal at your selected level.

Back
Top Bottom