Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

With tap water you will most likely run into algae at some point as tap has phosphates in it usually. Corals do not like phosphates either so if youre going reef at some point now is the time to consider an ro/di unit especially with your size tank.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would like to go RO but the only problem is to get it to the tank. Its up stairs in my room ad we ant store the unit or the large holding barrel up stairs or the middle floor. We would have to keep it in the basement. Itd be nearly impossible to run pipes through the walls to my room. Any ideas?

Old 10-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I use a 50 foot run of hose toget from my outside mixing station to my tanks. Not sure if you are talking about a distance further than. You could prob go to 75 feet but not sure, it would depend on the pump you will use to get the water to the tank.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

To my room to where we would put it is around 100 feet. So thatd be alot of work.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Breakthecycle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidanflower View Post
To my room to where we would put it is around 100 feet. So thatd be alot of work.
Saltwater = a lot of work. Do it right the first time, so you don't have issues later on.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

The problem with tap water, even good tap water, is that evaporation and topping off concentrates the materials in the tap water in your tank, the worse the tap water, the faster this happens. Algae is the usual problem at first, but tap water can also contain metals. RO/DI water starts with 0 ppm dissolved materials, so the evaporative concentration effect is negligible. For fish only, you can get away with water exchanges and it won't be too bad, but coral is too sensitive for this over the long run. I would get a power head and a good potable water source garden hose. These are usually white in color and are used for human drinking water. Cut off the metal ends and use barbs and hose clamps to connect it. RV stores and hardware stores usually have this inexpensive hose. 100' should be no problem, even upstairs with a strong enough power head or pump.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

+1

IMO tap water is not bad to go thru the cycle or for a FOWLR if it doesn't contain chloramines or copper.

But do check your city water quality report and do test it.

If going for a reef bite the bullet and go RO/DI or distilled.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Sponges | Angel »