Aqueon water changer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aidanflower

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering how i would use the aqueon water changer with a salt water aquarium. I know how to drain some water out but how would i safely fill the salt water aquarium?

You would only use it to drain water from a saltwater aquarium. You will need to manually dump fresh saltwater in or pump it in with a submersible pump/powerhead.

Thats what i thought but i wanted to double check. You wouldnt have any good ideas for adding water would you? I have a 90 gallon reef tank and every week i do a water change. I fill the buckets in the bathroom tub that is only a few rooms away. It still takes 2 hours to drain, fill and clean up, as i am 14. So I'm looking for a faster easier way to add water.

I have a water changer like the aqueon that has about 100' of hose. Drains really quickly. If you have saltwater premixed near the aquarium you just need to pump it up into the display or sump if you have one.

I hope you're not using tap water. Do you have a sump?
yes i do use tap water, i premix it and condition it.

I think i will be getting a small pump so i dont have to siphon it into my sump

Advise against tap water for saltwater. especially if you are planning on corals and/or anemones.

With tap water you will most likely run into algae at some point as tap has phosphates in it usually. Corals do not like phosphates either so if youre going reef at some point now is the time to consider an ro/di unit especially with your size tank.

I would like to go RO but the only problem is to get it to the tank. Its up stairs in my room ad we ant store the unit or the large holding barrel up stairs or the middle floor. We would have to keep it in the basement. Itd be nearly impossible to run pipes through the walls to my room. Any ideas?

I use a 50 foot run of hose toget from my outside mixing station to my tanks. Not sure if you are talking about a distance further than. You could prob go to 75 feet but not sure, it would depend on the pump you will use to get the water to the tank.

To my room to where we would put it is around 100 feet. So thatd be alot of work.

The problem with tap water, even good tap water, is that evaporation and topping off concentrates the materials in the tap water in your tank, the worse the tap water, the faster this happens. Algae is the usual problem at first, but tap water can also contain metals. RO/DI water starts with 0 ppm dissolved materials, so the evaporative concentration effect is negligible. For fish only, you can get away with water exchanges and it won't be too bad, but coral is too sensitive for this over the long run. I would get a power head and a good potable water source garden hose. These are usually white in color and are used for human drinking water. Cut off the metal ends and use barbs and hose clamps to connect it. RV stores and hardware stores usually have this inexpensive hose. 100' should be no problem, even upstairs with a strong enough power head or pump.

Last edited:
+1

IMO tap water is not bad to go thru the cycle or for a FOWLR if it doesn't contain chloramines or copper.

But do check your city water quality report and do test it.

If going for a reef bite the bullet and go RO/DI or distilled.

Back
Top Bottom