Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-20-2004, 12:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Arc Eye Hawk on a killing spree?

I added a 2 1/2" arc eye to my 70 that has 4 yellowtail damsels, an engineer goby, 100lbs lr and a dsb.

The first thing the stupid damsels did to the arc eye was to rub their tail in his face and make unpleasant gestures to let him know he was unwelcome. (bad move).

A few days later, the goby is gone.

Then yesterday, one of my perfectly healthy, bulletproof bright blue damsels is DEAD and stuck on the intake of a PH.

I didn't see any huge bites out of it (I threw it out the window of the house pretty quick because it was stinky) , but I am wondering if the death toll will continue to mount with the big Arc Eye in there.

Old 05-20-2004, 01:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to alarmguy66 Send a message via Yahoo to alarmguy66
I cant say that Arc-Eyes are all the same, but mine killed one firefish, made another jump out and ran a damsel into the overflow before he was banished to life in the qt tank with only big crabs as his friends.

Old 05-20-2004, 01:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

8O
Old 05-21-2004, 01:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

From what I have read and what I know Hawks are predators and the arc eyes are the most notorious. They are mean and will not only go after smaller fish but fish three times their size.

I had a speckled hawk that soon out grew my tank and started chasing my huma and tomato clown. I had to take him back to the LFS for trade in value. The guy at the LFS~ wanted the hawk for his own tank cause it was a nice big beautiful specimen.

Awesome fish but I will never get another one.
50 gallon saltwater fish only...1 mated pair yellowtail damsels, neon dottyback, tomato clown, huma trigger, lemonpeel angel, 12 stripe wrase, bi-color blenny, dozen or so hermit crabs-scarlet and mexican, cerith snails, turbo snails, orange linkia starfish, 50 plus pounds of purple-pink coraline encrusted rock and a few mushrooms.

Redsea prism protein skimmer, 404 Fluval, UGF with two 201 powerheads.

7 gallon tank with 6 pounds of live rock and countless brittlestars, 5 hermit crabs, snails and 1 False Percula Clown fish and Camel Back Dancing shrimp
1neondottyback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 11:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The governor just called with a pardon... the goby had made a secret cave and was hiding! He's not dead after all! I fed the tank and it peeked out. The death count is only at 1.

Perhaps the 1 damsel that was dead, was the one that flipped it's tail in the face of the hawk and thusly was attacked by the hawk.

Well I guess I will just keep an eye on everyone and see what happens from here.

The drama continues... thank you for your exciting yet grisly contributions dottyback and alarm... I supose as my hawk gets bigger it will just get more hungrier for fellow tankmates. :|
Old 05-23-2004, 03:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Good luck.....no matter the cost of a fish a loss is a loss.....amazing how the well being of a 3.99 damsel is as important to us, me included as anyother fish . It does suck though when a damsel picks on a new angel or wrasse that cost 27.00 or more. lol

50 gallon saltwater fish only...1 mated pair yellowtail damsels, neon dottyback, tomato clown, huma trigger, lemonpeel angel, 12 stripe wrase, bi-color blenny, dozen or so hermit crabs-scarlet and mexican, cerith snails, turbo snails, orange linkia starfish, 50 plus pounds of purple-pink coraline encrusted rock and a few mushrooms.

Redsea prism protein skimmer, 404 Fluval, UGF with two 201 powerheads.

7 gallon tank with 6 pounds of live rock and countless brittlestars, 5 hermit crabs, snails and 1 False Percula Clown fish and Camel Back Dancing shrimp
1neondottyback is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eye

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com