Are all overflows created equal?? (aside from gph rates)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mardeebo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm looking at ditching my aquaclears and getting a sump. I've gathered from you great advice-givers here that I'll need an overflow because I don't have a predrilled tank.

"DIY" is a swear word for me. I'll need to buy something.

It seems you can pick up a new overflow on ebay for around $30. But the CPR ones are considerably more. Some are $5, some are $100. Some are boxes, some are tubes. I never realized SW was so full of choices!

I'm picking up a used 30 gallon aquarium for $15 to use as my sump.

Any advice on what I should look for in an overflow, what to avoid, etc? Ease of use is important to me, as well as something quiet.

TIA
Deb

I personally prefer U tube overflows than the CPR style. The different prices will be due to different water flow capacities. Match the overflow with the speed of the pump you will be using on your sump. If your overflow is purchased in advance of your sump pump then you need to match your sump pumps flow speed to your overflow's max flow capacity.

i wouldnt worry about matchin the return pump as long as it more powerful, you can always add a ball value to adjust the flow

Keep in mind that the pump that gets to push the water up from the sump will encounter head pressure associated with the height and tubing turns needed to get back into the tank.

Pump ratings are at zero head pressure. You'll get much less out of the pump, so you'll need to buy a bigger pump than you might think at first.

Back
Top Bottom