Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-16-2005, 11:11 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

archie,

when I upgraded my tank, this is what happened.

I had a 10gal and a 20gal. here is all the equipment for them
123 watts of total PC light
2 65 watt heaters
3 HOB filters (2 millenium 1000s and 1 3000)
I ran the lights 8 hours a day.

Now I have a 72 gallon bow front
300w HQI MH & 192 watts PC
2 maxijet 1200s
coralife 220 super skimmer
mag 7 return

My power bill jumped between 5 and 10 dollars a month. all that stuff doesn't take as much power to run as you would think a lot of times.

Oh yeah, sorry to hijack an anemone thread

Old 08-16-2005, 11:15 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

my electric bill went up around 15-20 dollars a month, i run 2X96 watt actinic and 10,000K and moonlights 24-7, That also includes the pumps, protein skimmer, and powerheads. Lights are on 10-12 hours a day.

Old 08-16-2005, 11:18 AM   #13

I see. That wouldn't be bad then. This one guy at an LFS told me that your bill could jump up to $200 - $300 a month. And my bill is only $58 right now.

Sorry for the hijack also.

I don't know how long anemone can last in captivity either. For some reason, I think of anemone as a clicking time bomb. Time will only tell when your tank will crash, you know? But I don't know, I just heard of bad stories about some tanks with anemone. And when they crash, it's like the Nintendo Entertainment System: when it crashes, you start from the beginning of the game again.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:23 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've never really looked at it, but I would say Nels is about right.....25-20 per month extra.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:48 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I don't know how long anemone can last in captivity either. For some reason, I think of anemone as a clicking time bomb. Time will only tell when your tank will crash, you know? But I don't know, I just heard of bad stories about some tanks with anemone. And when they crash, it's like the Nintendo Entertainment System: when it crashes, you start from the beginning of the game again.
I don't know if you want to here this answer or not, but here goes.......

I had a really healthy RBTA that I bought because my clown was hosted in it at the store. I brought it home, acclimated it, and put it into the tank. it was doing well, then one day decided to move. It got to close to my frogspawn and the frogspawn zapped it. after that, it pretty much moved around the tank at will until eventually, it got pulled into a PH and chopped up rather nicely(and yes I had a screen on the PH). I had to do a truckload of water changes and it took about 3 months to get my levels right again.

then I bought another anemone for my clown. this time a long tentacle. it died in a matter of weeks. it stunk my house up and clouded the tank. again, it took forever for me to get my water right again.

the moral of my story? nothing really, just my experience with anemones. Some people have good luck with them and other people have nothing but headaches. I will more than likely never get another one.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:05 PM   #16

Wow, that's some terrible thing. Crashed twice.

My fish are all anti inverts. It killed my snails, my small hermits, my large hermit, and my three feather dusters. As much as I want to get a BTA for my false percula, I know I can't.

Good thing we discussed all these, because I'd rather find out from the forum than find out myself when it comes to tank crash due to anemone.

speaking of dead inverts, there's nothing more stinky than the funk of dead snails. They stunk up my house big time! Even my hands, and I didn't even actually touch the shell. My hand just happened to dip in the tank water.

I hope there are others out there that can share their experiences with anemones whether negative or positive. I'll also trail JG's topic.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:38 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to ram6519
I've had my Sebae Amemone for about a year now. When I got it it was about the size of a golf ball. Now when it's fully open it's about 8 inches across. It did move around til it found it's happy spot which so happens to be facing the back of the tank. So most of the time we just see the stalk instead of the open face.

Tags
anemone, anemones

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com