Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2014, 08:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Are banner fish prone to ich?

I bought a banner fish last weekend and my sailfin was really giving it a hard time. I couldn't find banner fish on the compatibility chart when I bought it to check how they would co exist. They were more compatible by the next day however I noticed the banner fish breaking out in white spots late this week. I am pumping their food with garlic and am thinking maybe I should take him back to the LFS if it is a stressful fish and I don't want to contaminate my tank. I didn't think ich would develop so quickly....my other fish have no signs of it so maybe it came with it and is now showing through the specific stage of cycle?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-18-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How big is the tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 07-19-2014, 12:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

400 litres but that can't be the problem...the LFS tank was 1/3 of the size and it's only been a week

Old 07-19-2014, 01:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bannerfish are no more susceptible to ich than other fish that are being harassed. The problem was the Sailfin picking on him and not a compatibility issue. They ARE compatible and would have been a better mix had the Sailfin gone in the tank after the Bannerfish. You will most likely have the same issue with any new fish you put into the tank that has any size to it. It's a threat to the Sailfin so it needs to show "the new guy" who is boss of the tank.
As for the spots, most likely it is ich. It may have come with the new fish or, because ich has multiple stages, may have been in your tank all along and just needed a stressed fish to be present to attack it. I strongly suggest you remove the new fish to a hospital tank and treat for the parasites and make sure your main tank does not come down with an infestation. Afterwards, after all is healed and confirmed safe, I'd remove the sailfin and reintroduce the bannerfish and let that fish get settled before reintroducing the Sailfin. Better yet, decide what other fish you want in the tank and maybe bring the Sailfin back to your LFS until you finish your collection then add the Tang last. There will be more harmony in the tank this way. I also suggest you set up a quarantine tank that you can house any new fish in for a minimum of 6-8 weeks. Most diseases will either have attacked the fish or shown up within that time frame so you can better treat them in a smaller tank. The new fish will also have the chance to get used to your feeding regimen and foods you feed without the harassment of the other tank mates eating it all first.

Hope this helps
Old 07-19-2014, 03:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I agree with Andy, except that I will point out whether or not the ich came in on your new tank, you already have an infestation of what is presumably ich.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:04 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks Andy.....I had concerns with the similar sizes and stripes and the sailfin is already a hog with feeding time. He came with my previous smaller tank and I contemplated selling him as he should be in a 6ft tank. My question now is the hospital /QT tank. I have two empty tanks...90litres and 250 litres which I could set up, taking water out of the DT but wouldn't the smaller size tank add stress too? I tried treating a hippo 18mths ago (3tanks ago) for ich, doing hypo salinity but ended up advertising him for free to someone more experienced who could successfully treat it as I couldn't bear to see him suffer. None of my fish have showed any signs of it since so I thought I was in the clear...now the banner fish is often following the sailfin and he is trying to ignore the new fish.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:57 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think I will try taking him back tomorrow and get a store credit til I set up my other tank

Old 07-19-2014, 11:27 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DI68 View Post
Thanks Andy.....I had concerns with the similar sizes and stripes and the sailfin is already a hog with feeding time. He came with my previous smaller tank and I contemplated selling him as he should be in a 6ft tank. My question now is the hospital /QT tank. I have two empty tanks...90litres and 250 litres which I could set up, taking water out of the DT but wouldn't the smaller size tank add stress too? I tried treating a hippo 18mths ago (3tanks ago) for ich, doing hypo salinity but ended up advertising him for free to someone more experienced who could successfully treat it as I couldn't bear to see him suffer. None of my fish have showed any signs of it since so I thought I was in the clear...now the banner fish is often following the sailfin and he is trying to ignore the new fish.

Ich will survive in the rocks and substrate for up to 8 weeks. It also attacks the gills first so even if you don't see any spots it doesn't necessarily mean that you are in the clear.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:42 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Ich will survive in the rocks and substrate for up to 8 weeks. It also attacks the gills first so even if you don't see any spots it doesn't necessarily mean that you are in the clear.

+1 This is why you always medicate fish in a bare tank so any parasite will have no place to hide.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Been reading up on QTs that run 24/7 and emergency QTs. Differing advice of course which does your head in- everyone has an opinion. What are you supposed to medicate a healthy looking fish with and how long to keep it in the QT? Isn't the QT meant to observe the fish and then medicate according any actual symptoms rather than a blanket comment "always medicate fish" which implies all new fish? And if I get it out of the tank now I may be lucky enough that it hasn't released any cysts or free swimming parasites into the tank (if it came with it in its gills already)

Tags
fish, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com