Are Bio Wheels Really Nitrate Factories?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nsu7

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can anyone help me understand how bio wheels are nitrate factories? I can't understand, other than I know they are great sources for aerobic nitrification (which is necessary afterall).

I could understand if they were deterius traps, but I don't see how they are. (ie hold the waste and allow it to nitrify)

Right. I guess it just goes something like: Bio wheels foster aerobic bacteria so they are nitrate factories. But correct me if I'm wrong, even tho we are all trying to get rid of nitrates, they are the end result of aerobic bacterias work, which we need to handle 'x' amount of bio-load.

So, I just can't understand how they're bad nitrate factores. But I do see how a sponge or other mechanical filtration are nitrate factories... (they trap the deterius for water to just flow over and further decompose, thereby increasing nitrates)

nsu7 said:
So, I just can't understand how they're bad nitrate factores.
They're actually not. Much like bioballs, it's lack of proximity to denitrifying bacteria. Strict anaerobes are but one, preferabley facultative but the closer the aerobic bacteria is to the facultative/anaerobic the more efficient the process. The further the they are apart, the longer less efficient the process becomes. Biowheels and the like do exactly what they're supposed to ( nothing more) and quite efficiently. FWIW, all types of bacteria (aerobic/anaerobic/factultative) grow within the visible area's of the tank, it's just that the denitrifying type cannot grow in sufficient numbers to do any good without "safe harbour" if you will spaces in their favor. ie sandbeds and LR.

Cheers
Steve

To complete what Steve said. The biowheel does what is supposed to do: it houses bacteria that turn nitrite into nitrate. Not too bad for FO or FOWLR but not good for a reef. If you keep up with PWCs you should not have any problems.

Back
Top Bottom