Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-01-2003, 08:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

well would a protein skimmer and live rock take care of the nitrate problem? What kind of filter should I have?

Old 11-01-2003, 09:14 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
the skimmer wont directly affect the nitrate levels but in theory it will help remove the organics that could eventurally break down to contribute to the nitrate problem.

Live rocks and a DSB are effective methods of nitrate removal.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 11:16 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Once you decide which corals you like, and would like to have in your tank, post a question as to the needs or do some research. Even if you think they may be to difficult for you now, they may be easy as you get accustomed to keeping corals. Also, if you only like "softies", then you would't need to spend the extra money on MH lighting. I would research as much as you can by looking at pictures, looking at online vendors pictures of corals, and decide which ones you want to have. Go from there. Aquarium Corals is a great book to have if you are interested in corals. Hope this helps!

http://www.reeffrontiers.com
NaH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 10:13 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok here's the corals I'm thinking about....pumping xenia, a toadstool mushroom leather, a brain coral, the button corals look cool, and so do the bubble corals, i saw an orange tube coral i liked. How many corals can I have in a 75 gal? I liked a lot of soft corals too.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:20 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Looks like you are most interested in "softies" and LPS. You need to use at least VHOs, and I've included a couple of articles. The first is a good all around lighting article describing the various terminology and lamps. The second is a more advanced article on metal halide lighting for those that are intersted.

>>>Lighting the Reef Tank, a Primer for Beginners<<<

>>>Analysis of MH lamps and ballasts<<<

http://www.reeffrontiers.com
NaH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 10:32 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Powercompact bulbs would also be OK for the corals you list. For a 75 gal tank I would venture to say 4 96W PC bulbs will be great or 4 110W VHO bulbs. Reguarless of the type of florecent have 1/2 of them 10K and 1/2 of them actinic.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 01:32 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
man i agree that while the lighting setup they are mentioning above would be good to keep what you have mentioned. i too was like you when i started out. i only wanted a FO tank, then i just wanted a few corals in my tank. so i bought pc's and a couple NO actinics. then i really got bit by the bug and wanted more and more. so i had to upgrade to MH and the pc's were just laying around. i would say go with the MH because: first its more intense light which your corals will appriciate and secondly you don't have to upgrade if you decide you want to keep SPS later on.

Tags
coral, corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com