are dwarf angels a possiblity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mephistopheles

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I received $60 in fish credit for my LFS recently and am looking forward to spending it. Me and my girlfriend agree that the fire angels and coral beauties are quite possibly the most beautiful fish we have ever seen. Unfortunately, I don't know that much about them. Would one or the other be compatable in my tank? It's a 30 gallon cube FOWLR and only has two residents so far: a blue devil damsel and a firefish gobie. I don't have a heck of a lot of LR but I'm building. Also, if anyone knows of any more articles other than the profiles on this site, that would be awfully helpful. Thanks for any help.

You should be okay with a coral beauty. You might want to ditch the damsel...it has devil in it's name for a reason.

might be a little small of a tank for him. but a very nice fish. and i second the ditching of the damsel. can get very mean

From what i remember reading in aquarium fish magazine i think that 30 gallons was the minimum, the article was very good, if you want i could probably send it to you.

Well, for long term success they like a mature tank with very good water quality. I.E. low doc, high circulation, aggressive skimming, stable parameters. These fish need some room, they constantly swim, grazing on algae on rocks and glass (they need a lot of this). They can also be difficult to get on prepared foods. Not an easy fish at all, and a 30g cube is pushing it. IMO a 45g is the min for this fish, add to that you have a damsel in that small space with him and I think it spells trouble and stress. If you insist on getting one for your 30, you may consider taking back the damsel if aggression is seen (or return him 1st and avoid all together) and be sure to see him eat at the lfs. Also consider a 45-55g in the near future if you want him to live stress free and have roaming room. It's the length of the tank that matters, not the gallons. That is where a cube tank falls short.

see http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/fishes/angels/centropyge/

Honestly, I think something like a Maroon Clown or a pair of percs would be a much better match for that tank.

Get the damsel out before you add more live rock too. It'll be even harder then. I agree with the cube being too small for fish recommended for 30g tanks, as those angels are. I'm sure that recommendation assumes a larger foot space than a cube with more swimming room.

well i just got the cb la few weeks ago. and i could not get him to eat any thing. then i got him on some red algae and just like 3 days ago he is finally eating some formula 1 food. really picky eater but if you try and dont give up he will do fine.

Thanks for the advice. I am actually hoping to upgrade to a larger tank in the near future. Perhaps I'll wait till that's done to add one of these beauties. Thanks again for your continuing assistance.

30 gal tank;

I also have a 30 gal cube tank i keep just 2 clowns 1 hawaiian puffer and 1- 4 line wrasse these fish are small wont grow much more than 3'' and seem to do great i was told a coral beauty would be to big for my tank so i will wait until i upgrade to a bigger tank.I also had a blue devil damsel took it back it became a total terror to my fish.

i have a coral beauty in my 30g tank, does fine, i dont think it will do well in a new cube tank. ditch the damsel, cause they are aggressive. Yeah i agree with srgetz, the tank needs to be really mature, mine is about a year old. um, i would ditch the damsel, and get some clowns. very beautiful, hardy, and entertaining.

HTH

P-MAN

Back
Top Bottom