are firefish really jumpers???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mistermismatch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
anyone ever had a firefish jump out???? i would like to get one but i dont use a lid. im always sceptical about fish being labeled as "jumpers". ive had 2 different snowflake eels that have never jumped. i always see them im different pet stores without lids (only hinged hanging doors so you cant see the lights). feel free to chime in with experience. i know they are said to be possible jumpers, im just wondering if this is just a precaution or more likely to be something that would happen?

Yes. If they are called jumpers then they will try and jump out of the tank at some point; don't risk it.

In my FW tank, I had a small, plastic tank that hung on the inside of the tank. The rim was about .5-1" above the water level in the main tank and that is where I kept an unidentified fry. 2 days later, a fish from my main tank had gotten into the small plastic one... and he ate the fry.

hmm well i've always heard they are jumpers, but i have a closed top tank with one so i can't really say

as for eels my LFS has a piece of plastic/acrylic on the opening with a rock on top of that for every tank with an eel in it

Ya whenever I move the rocks around, they get scared because they don't have a hiding spot and try to jump out. Usually just into the 10 gallon right next door though :p.

Back
Top Bottom