are frog spawns hard to care for

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pairenoid

Aquarium Advice Freak
on live aquaria it says it requires iodine and other trace elements, and im only using ro/di water with salt from petsmart

and i only have 2x24 watt t5ho nova extreme in a 20 long, would it die? grow slowly? should i not even try if i dont plan on adding trace elements manually

right now i only have easy corals but i like the idea of having a clownfish host this(dont have clown yet).

i have a silver tip xenia, has a clown ever hosted that? its very soft lol

on live aquaria it says it requires iodine and other trace elements, and im only using ro/di water with salt from petsmart

and i only have 2x24 watt t5ho nova extreme in a 20 long, would it die? grow slowly? should i not even try if i dont plan on adding trace elements manually

right now i only have easy corals but i like the idea of having a clownfish host this(dont have clown yet).

i have a silver tip xenia, has a clown ever hosted that? its very soft lol

Im weary of a frogspawn under 48w of light. I have one in my 29g but he's under 96watts n he does just fine. Not sure if 48w is enough tho, maybe someone else will chime in.

Clowns host whatever they wanna host BUT not all clowns WILL host. I've owned 2 clowns for almost 6 months now and my female just started hosting my flowerpot coral. So yeah id say it's a possibility with the Xenia, just not a definite.

Oh and as long as your water parameters are good(calc, mag, alk) you shouldn't have to add trace elements. Plenty of trace elements in doing just a pwc.

My clown hosts my bubble coral - it's not always going to host and keep in mind too the clowns that are tank bred never even know about the relationship with an anenome or any other coral - A lof of corals can be damaged from the hosting of a clown as well so sometimes it's a good idea to move corals from spot to spot so the clown does not get attached very easily. Something as delicate as xenia - I wouldnt want my clown killing.

alright cool, keep in mind the tank is only 12 inches high its a 20 long. I can place the coral at the top rock to give it better light. I dont only want it for the clownfish, i always wanted one i think they make every tank look better :)

i do about a 2.5-3 gallon water change every week ro/di water

are bubble corals easy to care for? the guy at my store said they are easy, but i am not sure

bubble coral, hairy mushroom, and frogspawn are on my lists of wanted. Bubble coral would be number one if i had better lights, the one at the store looks almost neon glowing, but i know with mine it wouldnt have that same shade of green :-(

It needs mainly calcium and alk, so magnesium should be high as well. Those are basic reef keeping elements and probably the only ones that you should care about for LPS/SPS. I consider frogspawn as a beginner coral. Clowns might host the frogspawn.

It needs mainly calcium and alk, so magnesium should be high as well. Those are basic reef keeping elements and probably the only ones that you should care about for LPS/SPS. I consider frogspawn as a beginner coral. Clowns might host the frogspawn.

+1 I guess they are considered "beginner" after all, it was one of the first corals I bought :) I wanted my clown to host the frogspawn but no such luck.

My bubble is easy to care for. The lighting Id recommend at least a 4 bulb t5 unit with low flow. When he gets more flow he doesn't open up all the way. Mines pinkish

image-424937262.jpg

your bubble coral looks good, but not green at all, was the green due to the lighting my store had? it looked like something you would see at a rave, neon green lol, almost glowing

also, what is the difference between a torch and frogspawn, i think i may have mixed them up..

Thank you. Bubble corals come white pink or green. It may of also been the lighting at the fish store that maybe deceiving.

This is a torch coral

image-2347847039.jpg

image-1073332762.jpg

This is a frogspawn

image-1424860083.jpg

image-2206488490.jpg

Sorry for the bad pics of the frogspawn. Never let it fully open yet before I took some shots. Plus I moved it around a bunch of times

Hope this helps

I have both frog spawn and a torch. IMO torch corals are more difficult to care for so I would not recommend a torch for a beginner.

thanks, i decided ill get either a frog spawn or bubble based on price and size, maybe both but not now

frogspawn has branching tentacles and torches are single tentacles. You'll definitely see the difference if both are side by side.

My first coral is a candy cane and torch. Easy care as long as Alk, Ca, Mag is high and stable.

Agreed that clowns may host whatever, and may not host at all. However I do not believe that tank bred clowns are less likely to host. Millions of years of evolution and instinct certainly do not go away in a few generations of fish.

Agreed that clowns may host whatever, and may not host at all. However I do not believe that tank bred clowns are less likely to host. Millions of years of evolution and instinct certainly do not go away in a few generations of fish.

touche. I didnt think of it this way. I was going by what I read on here at one point, just have to be careful next time. Thanks for the correction.

Back
Top Bottom