Are HOB Overflows OK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jawfishjunky

Aquarium Advice Regular
Do HOB Overflows Exist/Are They OK?

To all the forum members who have helped me: I promise this is the last whine about my 65-120 switch!

Its the dimensions themselves that drew me to the tank.
When I saw a 4' x 2' living space for my critters I got all charged up.

.....and I`m all for upgrading the system with a sump/Fuge. Even my wife is pushing me to go for it despite the cost. (What a Gal!)

However........as ridiculous as this sounds, the Overflow and Return Bulkheads in the Reef-Ready tanks are really turning me off. I mean EXTREMELY turning me off! :nono:

They are encroaching on all that space that I was so attracted to in the first place.

MAIN POINT- Are there external HOB Overflow Boxes that can send/return water to my sump/fuge in a Safe and efficient manner?
(I realize that the actual overflow intake would have to be in-tank. But are there units that send the water through plumbing outside the tank?)

If this can work please point out some brands, pros/cons, articles, links, etc.......

This would be the solution to my problems:
*the inside space of the tank would be maximized
*I could add all the Sump/Fuge stuff at a later date and not have to spend so much $$$ all at once.

Please let me know if this is a viable plan---especially in regards to possible flooding problems , etc.

Like I said---my next post will be about what my decisions were and how successful my 65-120 transplant was. (Knock on wood).

thanks a million,
Jawfish Joneser

Last edited:
Yes, you can use an overflow box if you want to. A couple people on here recommended this overflow box for me:
Reef Aquarium Filtration: Eshopps Overflow Boxes
I have had it up and running for about a month now with no problems at all. It was also very easy to setup and you do not need an aqualifter pump with this style overflow box. During a power outage the overflow never loses siphon so when the power kicks back on there is no worries about overflowing you tank. In order to prevent a backflow overflowing the sump, I drilled a little hole in the return line just below the water line. I test it out when ever I shut my return off to feed phyto or do a pwc, everything works out perfectly.

As is mentioned above, an overflow box will work fine. I used to use the u-tube style like ryshark linked to.

Thanks everyone--

I just took the plunge! I ordered the standard tank (no ugly bulheads whoopee!) and the rest of the gear. It should all be in on Thursday.

Aquarium Advice Forums Rule!

What and where did you order? Im in the market for a new tank...

I bought a 48 x 24 AllGlass 120 Gallon Tank and it`s glass top. I also got a nice Rosewood Stand but I cant remember the brand. I got the Salt, sand, etc.

I ordered at Aquarium Adventure. They have 1 store in Cleveland,1 store in NY, and 3 in Illinois.

They are pretty upscale---but often have BIG sales. They also have Club Member discounts. To join for life is like $24. Then you get 25% off on livestock and 10% off on everything else for life.

Right now all Livestock is 40% off. You can find some great deals.
They are patient and always have very knowledgeable staff. Its kind of like the Home Depot Expo Center of Fish Stores.

I`ll be picking up most of the Mechanical and Electrical Stuff online.

peace and respect............

No problem I see RYshark had it earlier. I didnt see it. That`s a pretty good overflow.

No problem I see RYshark had it earlier. I didnt see it. That`s a pretty good overflow.

Melosu---thanks for all your patience and help-----

Regarding this overflow:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=18358

Pricewise and Dimensionwise it seems perfect. I`m concerned about the noise level. Is this a classic "U" design Overflow. Net posters sometimes complain about their noise. Its in the living room and I dont want Mrs. Jawfishjunky unhappy with the noise after greenlighting this whole thang!

a zillion thanks again---
I`m picking up the 120 tank and stand today!:jump:

I agree with Mike.

I have the same 120g tank that you are getting. I use overflow boxes as well. I just didn't want to deal with the internal overflows. I use 2 Eshoppes PF-1200's on my 120. I built a manifold that the dual drain lines dump into and from there the flow is split between my sumps, fuge and skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom